After church on Mother's Day, we headed downtown to one of our favorite restaurants. Chester's was holding a special Mother's Day brunch, so I erroneously thought that would be fun. I think Bennie, Debbie, and Helen enjoyed the food, but Matt and I were run ragged by the girls. Jillian was upset they didn't have pancakes, and proceeded to eat 3 blueberry muffins (each requiring a separate trip to the buffet). Adrienne is less than pleasant to take out to eat at this stage--messy, squirmy, and after the busy morning we had, she was very tired. When we got home, I requested that Matt take the obligatory picture of me and my girls to mark the occasion. We tried a few takes in hopes we'd get one good one. Instead, we got three "almosts".



Soon after, our company began their long trip home. We all headed inside for a rest (which means movie for Jillian, the anti-nap queen), a short nap for Matt and I, and a nice long one for A. I was then sent to the nursery ALONE to pick out some flowers/bushes that I'd like to plant. I came home with my favorites: lilacs and peonies, a rose bush to replace a dead one, and a cool-looking ash spirea. Add these to the beautiful hydrangeas the Howes gave me for Mother's Day, and we had ourselves some work to do. We spent a fantastic lazy afternoon in the sun. It is on days like these that I am ever so grateful for our outdoor space. The girls have so much room to roam, and I love listening to them giggle as they do so. A few pics from the afternoon....
 |
| My peony bush. I'd like about ten more. Next to tulips, they are my favorite flower. |
 |
| The lilac bush. I have high hopes for this baby. |
 |
| Ash spirea |
 |
| My hard working husband--did I mention I sipped a beer and lounged on the grass while I "directed" the planting? |
 |
| 1 of 2 beautiful hydrangea bushes |
|
|
We ate leftovers for dinner (on paper plates) and ended the day with a long hot shower and some good TV. I remember asking my mom what she wanted for mother's day as a kid. Every year she would answer, "I just want everyone to get along". I always thought that was odd...didn't she want some perfume, or candy, or flowers, or jewelry? Now I get it. A day of smooth-sailing in the behavior department, contentment, and relaxed time together truly is the best Mother's Day gift. I am so blessed to have my mom, to be a mom, and am thankful for my crazy, silly, beautiful girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment