template

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Derby Day

We attended our first ever Derby Day party last night, and we had a great time despite the poorly timed thunderstorm that kept us all inside. Matt bet $1 on Daddy Knows Best, but did not win. I didn't take any pictures at the party, and just snapped one of myself on our way out the door. I was the only one of us who wore a hat--Jillian refused, Adrienne would have nothing of the hat-like headband I repeatedly tried to put on her, and Matt informed me that men don't wear them. I used my sun hat and added a jeweled feather pin I found at Hobby Lobby--think it worked out just fine.
I figure it's a good idea to throw in a picture of myself on occasion--just to prove that I am present and participatory in things besides laundry, diapering, and meal preparation.
 The best news to report here is that the girls were absolutely fantastic at the party. There were a lot of people (most of whom we didn't know), and Jillian played so well with the other kids. No screaming, no sharing issues, no willful disobedience. Adrienne was happy to hang out in our arms or nearby on the floor exploring new toys. Kids are so full of surprises, and I love it when the surprises are pleasant ones!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your hat - you look fabulous! And I'm so glad to hear that the girls were on their best behavior so you and Matt could enjoy the party. Hope you enjoyed a mint julep to toast the race? (I think that's the official Derby drink...) It's definitely nice to do something not usually on the daily "Mommy do" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had fun! Hopefully next year we'll be able to make it! Love your hat!

    ReplyDelete