I have always wanted a garden, and thanks to Matt and Bennie, I got one this weekend! Matt and his dad usually have some sort of project lined up when he visits, and I am so happy that the garden made the cut. After strategically marking off our plot (12'x12' to start this year), they went to Fleet Farm late Friday night and bought supplies for a fence. Since we live in "the country" now, we have to consider garden predators like rabbits and deer. Saturday morning they purchased the tiller, and we had our plot ready to plant in no time.
Matt, Grandma Helen, and I headed to the nursery during Adrienne's nap time while Debbie entertained Jillian. I forgot to take the stroller out of the back of the car before we left, so we had to get creative with placement of the tomato cages on the ride home. I was just glad we didn't have far to go!
Jillian was eager for the planting to begin, and couldn't wait to put the seeds and plants in the dirt. We have a bit to work on in terms of garden-walking etiquette, because I am pretty sure she inadvertently dug up or spread some seeds elsewhere as she stomped around the plot.
 |
| Jillian planted the first plant--her pumpkins! |
 |
| Most of the plants and seeds..tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, herbs, green onions, squash, zucchini, peppers, cabbage, lettuce, pumpkins, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and eggplant. We also planted some rhubarb behind the house. |
 |
| Grandma Helen took her turn supervising Matt's planting |
 |
| Jillian's job: hand Daddy the plants |
 |
| Ready to drop in some seeds |
 |
| Fascinated by the tiny red cabbage seed. Oh, and proof that I was there helping...the shadow of my hat |
 |
| Debbie and Adrienne approve of our efforts |
 |
| The finished product: may it grow fast and prosper! |
|
|
|
Minnesota graced us with the absolute perfect garden planting day, and it was a treat to share this experience with others. Everyone helped out in their own way to make this speed-garden possible. I can't wait to taste the fruits (er, vegetables) of our labor!
No comments:
Post a Comment