template

Thursday, April 2, 2015

KC in Pictures

Matt is off this week for Spring Break, so we took a fast trip to the KC area to see Grandpa Bennie and Debbie, and to meet up with the Birnbaum sisters and families.  We hadn't actually been to KC as a family since before Adrienne was born, so the girls got introduced to a lot of their parents' history. We left Saturday morning and had a fast lunch with Grammy and Grandad in Des Moines. Then we were off for the last leg of our trip.  Jillian found a way to pass the time...

We pulled off I-35 in Holt so that we could show the girls where Matt lived in Jr High/High School and then drove down 33 into Kearney. They are still laughing that we drove on 'PP' highway.

Snuggled in bed at Grandpa and Debbie's. Adrienne was very excited that this bed didn't have 'fences', so she said, "I know I haf to be on my best behavior". Bedtime was a definite struggle for these party animals each night.




Sunday morning we woke up and headed into downtown KC to visit Aunt Mal and Uncle John. The Widmers were driving over from Boonville to meet us, so while we waited we took a stroll to the City Market.


The girls had beignets for the first time. Powdered sugar heaven. We also had some fantastic coffee and then a little snack of Brazilian cheese bread before walking back.






The Widmers were waiting when we returned, and then we loaded up for lunch at a local pizza place, to Loose Park for play and an Easter egg hunt, to get ice cream, back to loose park for the playground equipment, and then went back to Mal and John's to hang out a little bit. The kids colored together and read some books and basically terrorized their condo.












Adrienne was killing me that day with her headband. Aunt Mal gave the girls some Easter treats that included a fun set of headbands. Adrienne insisted on wearing this one a la Jane Fonda the entire day. Jazzercise anyone?

Here she is giving me her best plea as to why I should let her eat even more candy

Some tree climbing lessons....

A rare opportunity for three sisters in the same photo....

I heart this picture.....

Bryce really didn't want to get in the picture, but we did our best to force it. I think it's funny how both Meg and I dressed our kids alike that day without discussion...and even in stripes!


Let's try again, Bryce....












After the Widmers loaded up to drive home, we went out to dinner with Mal and John and enjoyed completely gorging ourselves on some fabulous KC BBQ at Jack Stack's. We had to wait for an hour, but a new Boulevard IPA and a nice sunny day (and books and Netflix on Mal's phone) kept us all happy.


Adrienne confiscated my phone and took a few pics....






We rolled ourselves back to Liberty after dinner and I swear I still woke up full the next day.  On Monday, we loaded up in the car with Grandpa and Debbie for a drive. Grandpa wanted to take the girls to the visitor center at Smithville lake, and then we took a trip down memory lane in Kearney to show the girls all the important spots.


Watching a video about how the lake was made. Some people watched, anyway


We found a park right by the dam, so stopped to play before checking out the dam.





Here is where it all began....the window outside the 7th grade art classroom at Kearney Junior High. Matt and I met here back in 1990 (but of course paid no attention to one another)

And here is where it was made official. Sitting on the front steps of the former First Christian Church of Kearney (now it's something else) with our children almost 13 years after saying 'I Do'.





Peeking inside at the sanctuary
A drive over to Robin Street revealed the blue house I spent 6th-12th grades in is now a very odd shade of pink.

And then right next door (yes, you read that right), was the second Kearney house (late '96-late '05). Some crazy person who lives there filled in the pool.

Kearney High School....

We were all tired after our sightseeing, so sequestered ourselves in various spots for a rest. Debbie has all the VHS Disney Princess movies, so the girls were delighted to finally get to watch Snow White!

Working on a 150 piece puzzle that Aunt Meggie gave to the girls the day before.

And played outside in all the open space at Grandpa's.

Tuesday morning we loaded up for the looooong drive home. We called Grammy and asked her to meet us for lunch as we passed through Des Moines. It was time for Daddy to finally try Tasty Tacos! If you are driving through Des Moines, this is the place to stop. Love me some Tasty Tacos. The girls mobbed my mom and smothered her with hugs the whole time. Not sure what was going on with Jillian in the below picture, but I find it hilarious and totally typical of the teen-like sullenness that I've seen lately.



We managed to make the trip down and back without use of electronics, which is a record for us (I can get to Des Moines and back without them, but we've never done a 6 hr trip without them). We listened to A LOT of Disney Princess radio on Spotify, and Dr Seuss books on tape....and lots of "are we there yet?" inquiries. All in all, these girls are really fantastic travelers.
Nothing like falling asleep literally 2 miles before we got home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment