Kids really are mini-adults, I think. I say this in regards to mood/attitude. One week they can be completely distraught, angry, puzzling, for lack of a better word--a hot mess. The next they can be sweet as sugar, loving, kind, agreeable, and so forth. Humans are complicated, that's for sure, and I am no exception. I do think that this behavior switch always seems to happen just when a mom's heart needs it most. It's like having your feet held to the fire while you try to model respectful, kind, patient , and loving principles (not easy). And then, just as you are sure you are going to burn alive, someone comes and turns the hose on that fire. You let out a heavy sigh, and hope miraculously returns. This may sound dramatic, but it's how things have been around here lately with a house full of females. I am so thankful Jillian turned the hose on this week, because we had a forest fire up in here last week. This week, I'm seeing renewal of the heart I know she has; the loving, reflective, intuitive girl who is able to express herself and pour her heart out freely. She reminded me of this on Monday, when she came home from school saying she learned how to make cards. I thought, OK, why is she learning to "make cards"? Then she expounded to tell me that the class wrote thank you cards to some specific people who visited recently. I had no idea just how well her teacher taught this skill. She had a mission when she got home from school, and she requested colored paper to take up to her desk, where she remained until almost dinner time. Then she made the grand reveal, and set a hand-written thank you card at each of our places. My heart was mush, and I could see Matt's was, too. Aside from the heartfelt words, I was so surprised to see how much better her writing has gotten this month--the size is noticeably smaller and far more legible than it ever has been. I snapped pictures so I could document this expression of gratitude, admire the phonetic spelling over and over and over, and easily access these words when the fires start to roar again.
For Matt:
 |
| Outside of the card says "funny reindeer" |
 |
| Inside: "Dear Dad Thank you for being silly. Thank you for your yummy popcorn. Thank you for loving me. Love Jillian" |
Mine:
 |
| Outside: "For the first time in forever" |
 |
| Inside: "Dear Mom, Thanks so so so much for taking care of me and A. Thank you for cooking my food. Thank you for helping me. Thank you for buying my clothes (Love the phonetic "byeing my closs"). Thank you for loving me. Love Jillian" |
And Adrienne's:
 |
| Outside. Of course this would be Adrienne's |
 |
| Inside: "Dear Adrienne I hope school is going well. You are very cute and very silly. You are a very good girl. You are very creative (spelled "created"; love it). Love Jillian" |
No comments:
Post a Comment