template

Friday, April 24, 2015

Willow

I've learned over time to always carry my phone up with me when I do my nightly pre-bedtime kid check. I often find funny or cute little things in their room they've done after I've tucked them in, or find them wearing interesting outfits, or just looking sweet. It's probably no surprise that lately I generally find Adrienne worth photographing because she is just full of it on all levels right now. Last week the girls asked if they could wear "grown up pajamas" to bed. I had no idea what their perceptions of grown up pajamas were, but I soon found that it consisted of "comfy clothes"...namely pajama or yoga pants and t shirts.  I told them that I don't care what they sleep in as long as they just.go.to.sleep.  This brings me to how I found Adrienne on Wednesday night. I pulled back the covers (I've learned to do this because she's often wearing slippers or took her pants off or whatever) and this is what I see--lounge pants, short sleeved purple dress topped with a Halloween pajama top, and two mismatched slipper socks. Not an unusual presentation for her.

But then. I removed the slippers nearly laughed out loud at what I found underneath them.


Yes, those are hairbands around each forefoot, squeezing the life out of her (see the red marks?) while she sleeps. What in the world?? I came down to show Matt and he had a good laugh and then reminded me of something I had forgotten about as he talked..."She has such an imagination and is so full of whimsy. I don't know where she gets it. It's certainly not from either of us. She would have been the perfect Willow!" Oh, Willow. You see, when we were naming Adrienne, Matt was pulling for Willow. Let it be known that he was the one who chose 'Adrienne' in the first place (I was late to falling in love with it), but he seriously wanted to name her Willow. I couldn't do this for a whole host of reasons that I won't expound upon here, but I crack up thinking about some of her antics, humor, and free spiritedness now and have to agree that she could have rocked the name 'Willow'. Side note: Pink (you know, the singer)  thankfully named her daughter Willow the same summer Adrienne was born, so that brought about an awareness/popularity of the name that helped Matt to be persuaded that name wasn't going to work for us. Thanks, Pink! 

Oh, so are you wondering what purpose those hairbands served? You can bet I asked her about them first thing the next morning. She of course had an answer. "Oh, well I was ice skating and I wanted to protect myself. If I slipped I needed to have bandages on my feet". Well, of course. Why didn't I think of that?

1 comment: