template

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Keeping It Light

I have felt quiet (in the blogging sense) these last few weeks, and I think it's because it's difficult to just record small daily events when you are in the middle of unexpected family circumstances. One moment I was so stressed out about the "burden" of preparing to travel to Hawaii with two small children, and the next I was quickly reminded that life is so much bigger than the things that personally trip me up. Flights were canceled, a different one booked for Matt alone within minutes, and suitcases were unpacked of swimsuits then repacked with winter clothes once I was home with the girls and could formulate a plan. We are so grateful for progress and improvements and resources, and are thankful for supportive colleagues, friends, and family that made it easy for Matt to be away for two weeks, and for me to be with him sans girls for one of them. And yet, I am sobered by the reality that this is only the beginning for us. Our parents are getting older, and they will get sick. They will have surgeries, and illnesses, and medical bumps in the road. And we will adjust. We will do everything we can to support whichever parent needs us at the time, and show our children what really matters--even if it means a few bedtime tears and misunderstandings about why things are "not the same". We will say more prayers, accept kindnesses from friends, and grow our faith. And still--we will keep it light. We will dress in our best and host a royal ball in the living room when the creative whim strikes. By the fire. (Well, probably too close to the fire). These 'princesses' fill me with delight....they are the best at keeping things light (and for the record, probably have watched one too many fairytales recently. Just watch what happens at the end of the dance!)




No comments:

Post a Comment