OK, so kindergarten. Well, I have waited for it a long time. Doesn't that sound terrible? It's just that Jillian is a kid who likes to be busy and needs a lot of stimulation and structure. It's been hard to piece together preschool experiences to fill her up. All day kindergarten has sounded like heaven to both of us...until today. I stood in line at the records and registration office and glanced down at the papers I held in my hand. On top was her birth certificate, detailing that important information on that important date that seems like just yesterday. And now here we are going to big kid school. Real world big kid school. I felt a little lump in my throat and suddenly panicked that I don't want to let her go into that big kid school and world. Gulp. So now I get it. I get why moms dread kindergarten and whine about their babies going off to school. And I get that this is only the first of many times I will get that lump in my throat as I hesitate at letting her go off into the world for new experiences. I have a new resolve to really make the most of these next months with us all home together most of the time, before life swoops in and takes my big-kid baby to school.
And now, the reading! I bought Jillian a set of BOB sight word books for her birthday, and of course in effort to keep them nice I had them in a cabinet away from the kids since then. That's not a very effective strategy for teaching your kid to read, let me tell ya. Jillian and I were set to have a rare out of the house "date" at the dealership as we waited for some car service after school (A was home with my mom), so I decided to take the opportunity to grab the first three BOB books and bring them along, knowing that J would be delighted to have my undivided attention on this matter. We sat there 30 minutes, and by that time she had officially read all three books twice. I was so proud of her, but more importantly, she was so proud of herself. Grinning ear to ear, and making everyone else in the waiting room smile with her exclamations, "I did it, Mom! I read a book! I'm your little reader!" I of course videoed all of it to send to Matt (who was still in KC at that time), and she was just bursting at the seams as she read. They will be cherished videos for sure. And now for some mom guilt. Imagine what she could do if I took more time for this. She has been waiting for me for a long time to get those books out and sit with her, and I can't help but feel like I've held her up as she longed for this new skill. End of mom guilt rant. So proud of you, Jillian! I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful relationship between you and the world of books that await your little eyes!
![]() |
| The first book. Jillian will tell you it's her favorite book EVER. |
![]() |
| Proud of herself |


No comments:
Post a Comment