template

Friday, November 8, 2013

When I Grow Up.....

Jillian's class studied jobs all month, and to top off all the career exploration, each child got to dress up like what they want to be when they grow up. Jillian surprised me (because she's done nothing but insist she will be an apple picker someday) when she declared that she wants to be a chef! I was thankful for that easy costume, especially since I didn't find out until the night before that this was happening (teacher had an e mail glitch and didn't know that her emails weren't getting to the parents). While I didn't have a chef hat, Jillian agreed that we should pull her hair back because a chef wouldn't want her hair to get in the food (nice save on my part, right?). When I picked her up from school she was so excited to tell me about everyone. I asked her to stop until we got home because the commentary was too good and I wanted to write all this down. She went through every single kid without stopping. I had to write fast.

-"Austin was a construction worker."

-"Jonah was a Twins baseball player, how can I forget all these words?"

-"Silas was a triath-a-lete. That's someone who swims, bikes, and runs."

-"Veronica was an artist. I'm a REAL artist because I draw a lot of pictures and write lots of words."

-"Um, OK. I'm thinking who was sitting next to Logan.....Logan was a circuit designer. They make the 'lectricity work. I think he just want to be that when he grows up. they figure out how TVs work and that the lights work and everything that is light works. Get it, Mom?"

-"Ella was a vet. She REALLY REALLY wants to be a vet."

-"Payton was a doctor. But she forgot her stuff at daycare and her mom ran back and got it."

-"EmmaClaire was an ontologist." (insert my puzzled look here) "You know, someone who finds bones." I asked her if she meant a paleontologist--"Yes, thank you."

-"Gavin wants to be a builder, too, but he didn't bring his costume. I think they didn't know that it was dress up day. I think Gavin forgot to tell his mom, but it's OK. We still know what he wants to be."

"Oh there's one more! Me! I was a chef. So you can remember that I was a chef. I really really want to be a chef."

At the end of the conversation I asked her which costume was her favorite....

"Um....the tri-ath-a-lete. Because I think tri-ath-a-lete is fun a little. Because I love to swim, bike, and run. I love all those things!"
My little chef after school with her apron, bowl, and wooden spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment