Since I print books of this blog for the girls at the end of each calendar year, it seems fitting to close out 2012 with some reflections and observations (from my perspective) for each of us...
Jillian really matured this year. I think it's true when they say that 3 is a really hard age, and that it gets better (whatever that really means) at 4. I've seen her develop a passion for creating art of all sorts, noticed a blossoming curiosity of deeper issues (life, death, religion, friendship, compassion), and watched her learn to spell and write her name, choose rhyming words, and begin to sound out words to spell them. I think she is ready to read, so I'd better get on that while she's as excited as she is. Just this morning she told me that she loved stars (I had stars on my pajamas) because they shine SO bright. I giggled and told her that stars actually remind me of her--because Jillian does shine SO bright.
Adrienne grew into a "real person" this year. We celebrated her first birthday, watched the first steps, heard the first words, got those first real kisses, and can see her develop her own individuality. That is some big stuff. She is so, so sensitive--yet somehow assertive enough not to cower away from a challenge or sibling "issue", and demonstrates true persistence in making her requests known. I am struck by her desire to always know where Jillian is. It warms my heart to observe the tender relationship between these sisters.
Matt really got his feet wet at work in this first full calendar year as a staff radiologist. He finally saw some long-standing research work come to fruition in publication, and was invited to travel for committees and presentations beyond what we expected. I think he felt the burden of the responsibility of his job begin set in, and while I don't mean that negatively, it is certainly the reality. I observed him struggle with work-life balance, boundaries, and time for himself. I often forget that the job of "mom" isn't the only hard one in the family--it's tough to be the dad, too. I am always proud of how he displays such tenacity and humility in absolutely everything he does; two of my most favorite human qualities.
This year I turned down the opportunity to return to clinical work. It surprised me that the decision was easy. I've been home for three years now, and while I still have a long list of professional goals, achieving them isn't on the horizon for me. And I'm happy about that. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to be with my girls and to be in charge of our routine/activities/daily experiences. I am fortunate to have some amazing friends walking this same path with me, a great Bible study group, and the chance to squeeze in personally fulfilling activities (learning to play tennis, singing again after a 10+ year hiatus--this time with the worship team at Bible study, cooking, and blogging about the girls and my love of good food). I read some fantastic books this year that are really working me over in terms of how I choose to fill my time and my thoughts. That's a good thing.
Welcome, 2013....we are looking forward to the adventures you will bring!
No comments:
Post a Comment