template
Sunday, December 30, 2012
1.5
Oh, Adrienne. How can it be that you are 18 months old today? We have seen so many changes in you recently that let us know you have arrived: you are in no way a baby anymore. You are a toddler, emerging into a little girl faster than it seems possible. I credit much of this advancement to your older sister--not that she is the reason that you are moving along so quickly, just that she is your role model, the one you strive to be like, imitate, and so on.
You desire to be autonomous in all ways. You have definite opinions, and do not hesitate to express your displeasure if they do not align with ours. Oh, that scream. That ear-piercing scream is like your weapon. If you do not have the words to say what you mean, you scream. It continues to get you results. It gets your sister in trouble, and probably gets you what you want more than it should (like that cup of milk you want to carry around despite my rule that you only get it while seated in your high chair). Speaking of milk, you are addicted. You think it is the only fluid that exists, and I am often only successful getting you to drink water if I give it to you in an open cup--which you are doing quite well with. You eat well with utensils, except for when you get impatient with that last bit of yogurt in the container, then all bets are off and you use your hands. And speaking of yogurt, you would prefer to eat only that at every meal. It is my current lot in life to monitor your milk and yogurt intake, I suppose--you are a true dairy monster. I'd love it if you suddenly became obsessed with broccoli. Maybe someday.
Climbing is your current passion, specifically the couches and dining room chairs. I keep the dining room chairs in the mudroom during the day, but there's not much I can do about the couches. Why can't you just sit down once you are up there? You'd rather stand and look at me mischievously, as you wait for me to notice and tell you to sit down. Generally, you reprimand yourself by saying "sit down" before I can get it out. Recently, I caught you trying to throw your leg over the back of the couch, which I must insist you NOT do. It is fun to test limits, though, isn't it?
You continue to pick up language faster than I can track. Two-three word phrases are the norm now. On Christmas day, you said your longest sentence. Jillian got you a stuffed puppy, and we told you to tell Jillian thank you. You said, "Dank you Jilliya ah dah puppy" (thank you Jillian for the puppy). Wow! I also got teary last week when I put you to bed and told you I loved you. You responded with a very grown-up, clear, sincere, "I love you mama". You imitate every new word you hear, so we clearly have to be careful around you. The one thing we can't get you to even attempt to say is your name--it drives your dad bonkers that you won't try and say it. I guess we can't blame you, it is a long one. You answer questions with "Mmm hmm", "yeah" or an emphatic "NO!"--it's clear you understand the questions and the meaning behind your answers.
You love to play with your babies/stuffed animals, and make sure that you always involve your two favorite objects in your play schemes: ziplock bags and tissues. I cannot keep you out of the baggie drawer, you want them to put objects in to carry around. You also say "nose" every time you see a tissue/wipe/napkin. You love to wipe your nose, and the nose of every stuffed friend. You also think it is really fun to take your socks off and put them on your hands like mittens. Why is it that you will keep socks on your hands, but not mittens? I may need to just got with it.
Over the weekend Grammy commented on how she liked to watch you play, that you have a gentle spirit that is evident when you play. She is right. You are sweet, still so snuggly, and very kind to your toys. You are your own little unique and wonderful person. I'm so glad you are mine...yes, even when you throw yourself on the floor in fit of toddler rage.
xoxo Mommy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment