template

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

No Kids Allowed

Matt and I just returned from a fantastic long weekend in NYC. We started talking about making a trip somewhere in honor of our 10th anniversary several months ago, and I told Matt that I just wanted him to plan it. Big life decisions are easy for me, but small decisions such as travel reservations, hotel, restaurant choices, etc are next to impossible. I am way too much of an overthinker and end up killing the fun. Luckily, Matt is really good at this so he was up to the challenge. He decided upon NYC for several reasons--easy to get a non-stop flight, great food/shows, would be a pain to take kids because of car seats/baby gear, and no driving a great distance to get to the destination upon arrival (meaning maximization of time away, not eating up precious moments traveling). So, a few weeks ago he booked the tickets and our hotel and we were set to go. He gathered recommendations from friends and family (this would be his first trip to NY, and it had been 15 years for me), and I contacted my oldest friend in the world, Michelle, to figure out how we could connect while we were in town. My mom arrived on Tuesday afternoon so that I could "prep" her for child wrangling, and we left bright and early Thursday morning to head to MSP to catch our flight. Leaving the girls is not easy for me (this was the first time leaving A). I talk a big talk about wanting to get away (and I really do want to), but I become ridiculously anxious about worst-case scenarios in the 24 hours leading up to departure. It is hard for me to eat, nearly impossible to sleep, and I make Matt miserable with my obsessive worrying (just ask him, I nearly ruined our Maui trip when Jillian was a baby). The point is that I am determined to let my desire to spend time with my husband and nurture our relationship win out over worry, and this trip, it did. Once we arrived I was able to relax and we really did have a wonderful time. After Matt got home from work last night he said, "You know, I was thinking about the trip and I think it is the most fun we've ever had on a trip". He's right. Here's my record of our time away:

After nearly perishing several times on the hour-long cab ride from JFK to Midtown, we dropped the bags at our hotel and walked around. We were only about a block off of Times Square, so we stopped to marvel at the chaos
We walked through Grand Central Station (also pure madness) and hit a local pizza place. I did not get what I wanted because I didn't know how to order. I asked for the "cheese" as I pointed to the thick deep-dish squares....should have asked for "the Sicilian". Next time I'll get it right. We wandered around some more, bought show tickets for the weekend, and sat for a leisurely cup of coffee. We also made a quick stop at Hello, Deli just to see if Rupert was in....lucky for us, he was! All you Letterman fans will appreciate this:

Once it was time to check in, we headed back to our hotel. I must pause and say I was a bit unsure regarding the hotel. Matt was pretty pleased with himself over the selection when booked at Night. Night is a small boutique hotel done in a Gothic style as play on Gotham City. I was convinced it was a hotel for vampires. To my surprise, it was not. Instead, I found a very hip, sort of swanky in appearance, room unlike any other I had stayed in.
And it was incredibly small. 200 square feet to be exact. Matt humored me while I did what I felt was a required bed bug check before we settled in (hey, it's legit--NYC is notorious for a bed bug problem. Google it!). Because I have no shame (and am not ashamed), I find this picture he took of me with my flashlight to be hilarious. Thankfully, I found no evidence of the little buggers.

We cleaned up and headed out for a fantastic evening with one of my very favorite families. Michelle is my oldest friend, and though I can count 6 occasions since 1989 where we have been together, it is always easy to pick up right where we left off. She and her husband, Mike, met us for a drink in Rockefeller Center (the famous ice skating rink is a restaurant/bar in the summertime), and then we headed to Del Frisco's for a delicious steak dinner with her mom, sister, and brother-in-law. I am still sad that we didn't get to see John (her dad) or meet her sweet baby, Michael, but I am so thankful for the time we all shared together. I took only one picture of everyone else as we waited for dessert. Thanks for making the effort to see us, Witkowskis! The time with you was such a blessing.
On Friday, we were up and at 'em early and grabbed a bagel at Ess-a Bagel. I was bummed to not find an egg bagel (my favorite) on the menu, but the oat bran was good second choice. Matt ordered an everything bagel and ended up with whole wheat. The place was nuts, I guess a mix-up was inevitable!
We took a stroll in Central Park while we finished our coffee, then gawked over $60K earrings in Tiffany's, and Matt politely declined my request to buy a purse in Louis Vuitton before we bought some bus tickets. City Sights turned out to be a great tip (thanks, Ryan) and for $50 each we had a 2 day pass to see every inch of Manhattan with ease as we rode atop the open-air bus.
 We did the uptown tour first, and though we weren't deterred by the rain that settled in, we were thankful for the ponchos we were given

We hauled our wet selves off the bus for a late lunch at Carnegie Deli. We enjoyed some matzoh ball soup and shared the Woody Allen sandwich, which was corned beef and pastrami. I wish I had taken a picture. My half was at least twice as tall as my widely open mouth and contained probably about a pound of meat. Though we found it to be a bit annoying to be smashed in so close to people we weren't actually dining with, we did strike up a conversation with the couple next to us. Besides learning that we ALL went to KU and grew up in the KC area  (what are the odds?!?!), they (now New Yorkers) shared their favorite restaurant suggestions with us. After lunch, we headed back to the hotel for a much-needed nap and got ready to attend our first show: Mamma Mia.

 Matt was surprised by how much he enjoyed it, and I loved every second of it. I have seen a lot of different shows in various places, but this show had by far the best encore of any--3 songs, multiple costume changes, and the entire packed theater was up on their feet clapping and dancing along the whole time. Just plain fun. After the show we went to a Japanese restaurant suggested by our KU lunch buddies--Nobu. It was wonderful. I am still fantasizing about the "rock shrimp tempura with creamy spicy sauce". It won a unanimous vote for best dish of the trip.
On Saturday, we grabbed breakfast and hopped on the downtown tour bus. We rode down to the 9-11 Memorial and were humbled by the sight. I remember standing in the World Trade Center with Michelle when I was 16 and talking about the bombing of '93 that occurred the year before. I never imagined I'd be standing in the same spot viewing a memorial of such a tragic, defining historical event for our country.





We hopped back on the bus and took it down to Chinatown and Little Italy. As we drove through South Street Seaport I caught glimpse of a sign that both amused and (slightly) offended me. Chew on this, Midwestern parents.
If you can't read it: "NYC. Where people have more to talk about than their kids."

Chinatown was an assault to my nostrils--so many pungent, unusual smells wafted around the markets and restaurants. There was so much food waiting to be sold--live fish, vegetables, mushrooms, dried shrimp, etc--Matt and I wonder how in the world they sell it all, and what they do with it if it doesn't get sold that day??? Maybe I don't want to know. Here were the exotic mushrooms for sale at one market
I was surprised to learn (why? I'm not sure. I just was) that Little Italy and Chinatown are literally on top of each other, so after our quick walk through Chinatown we went to eat at Vincent's (thank you for that tip, Michelle!). It was delicious and authentic. What could be better than Eggplant Parm in Little Italy for lunch on a Saturday?

We ran to catch the bus back to Midtown and barely made it in time to catch our second show, Jersey Boys.
Jersey Boys was phenomenal...and no one seemed to care that we were still in shorts/running shoes since we ran out of time to change.  If it comes to a city near you, buy tickets. After the show, we ran back to the room and changed for dinner and spent way too long trying to hail a cab. Let it be known that I got one before Matt did--I was a bit more aggressive in my approach. We had made reservations at another restaurant suggested by our KU lunch buddies the day before: The Spice Market. The Spice Market is an upscale take on Southeast Asian street food, and the atmosphere is incredible. We enjoyed the multi-course tasting menu, and were surprised when they brought out our dessert
When I called for our reservation earlier in the day, I didn't think twice about them asking me if we were in town celebrating anything special. (for some reason this picture won't rotate...) It was sweet, and the dessert was unusual and refreshing. After dinner, we grabbed coffee and shopped around as we headed back towards Midtown on foot. Matt could sense that despite the earlier (very small!) dessert, I still was longing to try what I said my one food request in NYC was, so he hailed a cab (much more effectively this time) and whisked me off to Serendipity 3. When I finally sampled the famed frozen hot chocolate, I was a happy, happy girl.
We hoofed it back to the hotel, enjoying a last nighttime stroll through the city that never sleeps. On Sunday, we headed to La Guardia and caught our flight without incident (though they did try to (unsuccessfully)steal my apparently suspicious-looking tin of Jacques Torres hot chocolate that the Witkowskis gave me while going through security). Reuniting with the girls was wonderful--happy, excited emotion flooded our home. No matter how badly I want to escape the daily trials of raising children, there is nothing sweeter than coming home to your kids. Adrienne clung to me, quietly snuggling up to me long after we arrived, and Jillian kept saying, "I'm so glad we are all back together again".
It was back to reality Monday morning for both of us. Matt headed back to work, and I braced myself for the "grandma withdrawal" that always comes when kids have been (appropriately) spoiled by time with grandparents. I made one purchase while in NY (for some reason I have a hard time shopping on vacation), and I immediately put it to good use.
We can all use a little help from Wonder Woman to get through the day, right??   
Thanks, Mom, for loving on and caring for my girls as you always did for us. You made this getaway possible for us and we so appreciate it. And Matt--start planning....our 11th anniversary is just over 9 months away!






1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time and you're not the only one that stresses about leaving the kids. I'm already sweating about our Ireland trip in 17 days!

    ReplyDelete