template

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Meeting Teachers

Today was meet the teacher day at preschool. In Jillian's case this meant meeting teachers, 5 of them to be exact. I'll give you a minute to gasp over that number before I explain....better? I nearly fell out of my chair when I got the orientation information in the mail and saw that my 3 year old would have 5 different teachers (actually 10, because each teacher has an assistant!). I know what you are thinking--how did I not know this? When we signed Jillian up for school this year (back in January) we decided on three full days for her. I could absolutely have done the math and figured out how many different people she would have to answer to, but my brain was stuck in the days per week mode. Both Matt and I and her pediatrician felt that this would be a good amount of school to keep our bright, busy, curious first born engaged and challenged. I still feel that way, though I would be remiss if I didn't admit a bit of mom guilt over this many teachers for one little lady. Motherhood is one big exercise in guilt, though, isn't it?
Anyway, I told Jillian about her 5 main teachers and the classes she would be taking and she was eager to meet them. My little extrovert was so excited that she was up bright and early this morning to color a special picture for each of those 5 teachers (complete with descriptions that I had to write on them--my favorite was the picture of the beehive she made for Mrs. Leif, labeled "It's a honey thing where bees go in"). Matt was off today so he and Adrienne had some time alone while I took my big girl to check out her teachers. As soon as we walked in the school (same school as last year, FYI), I realized all of the issues surrounding the schedule details are purely mine. Jillian is at home in this place. She excitedly bounced around meeting each teacher, telling them about herself, shaking their hands, and even spelling her name for one who asked "what's your name?". She said, "Jillian! J-i-l-l-i-a-n!" Though we don't truly know any of her teachers except one (a repeat from last year), Jillian recognized all of them from lunch buddies last year and many already knew her. Whew! We ran into several classmates from last year (it's so cute to watch little girls reunite like old college friends, big hugs and all!), as well as other friends from play dates and Bible study. Jillian was happy to see her friend Ella and the two enjoyed listening to an audio book together.
So--here we go. Next week I will send my little girl to school on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. I hope it is a fantastic year for her that is full of new friends, learning, and most of all--fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment