My oh my, this was quite an interesting day of conversation around here. Jillian had a poor night of sleep, which is rather unusual for her. This also means I had a poor night of sleep. She appeared at my bedside multiple times between 3:30 and 4:30 quietly telling me there was something scary in her room. I went up, turned on more lights, assured her there was nothing scary in her room, reminded her she was safe, and put all her stuffed friends back into her bed. As an aside, I would like to point out that my immediate mission is to train her to wake her dad up when she is scared--I'm happy to let him play the hero in closet-monster battles. This morning I learned that it was not a monster we were dealing with, but a dragon. She came bounding down the stair telling me about her dream:
"Mom! I have to tell you about my dream. There was a dragon on my bed! And he was eating popcorn! A dragon made popcorn on my bed!"
We giggled about it and talked about how silly dreams can be, and then I pointed out that sometimes dreams make us scared in the night, and that's OK, but that they aren't real.
We went on about our day with little talk of the offending dragon, and then at rest time she told me she was scared to be alone in her room. I asked her why, and she said there was something in there. I asked her what it was, and she told me to come up and see. I walked into her room and found her staring into her closet. She said, "Mom, watch this" and proceeded to walk up to her low-hanging closet rod where a lone purple polo shirt hung (which by the way, she has never worn--I apparently didn't know that she absolutely will not wear collars or buttons when I bought it). She gingerly approached the shirt, then quickly tapped it so the hanger and shirt were swaying back and forth on the rod. Then she ran out of her closet and shouted, "See! I think a dragon did that!" She certainly has quite the imagination. We then had a discussion about how dragons (at least the kind she is speaking of) are not real.
After rest time, Jillian sat and colored for a long time at the kitchen counter while I worked on freezing some garden tomatoes. Adrienne was still asleep, so this was a nice time of uninterrupted conversation for Jillian and I.
J: "Mom, what's rhyming mean?"
Me: "It's when two words have the same sound, kind of matching sounds...like 'dog' and 'log'"
J: "Oh, you mean like 'boat' and 'goat'?"
Me: "Yes! Very good!"
This started a thirty minute interrogation session where she asked me what rhymed with each of about a bazillion words. Finally, when she could sense my fatigue, she said,
"Mom, I know what rhymes with peanut butter"
Me: "Really? What?"
J: "Jelly!!"
Then without waiting for much of a response for me, she changed the topic.
"Mom, how will I get to God and Jesus in heaven when I die someday?"
Me: "Uhhhhh....." (seriously, how do I answer this? And how did we get there from a conversation about rhyming?!?!?)
J: "Mom, how will Jesus get me when I die?"
Me: (taking a stab at evading any literal answers about what happens to a body post mortem) "We don't have to worry about that, because God will just take care of us at that time"
J: "Well, I can't be flushed down the toilet like a fish because I'm a kid and I won't fit!"
This was just another example of how she keeps me on my toes. Every. single. second. of. the. day.
No comments:
Post a Comment