template

Thursday, August 30, 2012

14 Months

Adrienne is 14  months old today, and as far as I can see, has suddenly become a full-blown toddler. Just this week I watched a surge of independence appear in her as she firmly asserts her preferences. I find it more amusing as a second-time mom, which is probably a good thing. I actually laughed when she threw her first official temper tantrum on Tuesday. I removed her from her sister's room, where she was playing with a coveted purse (one you left here, Grandma), to put her down for her nap. She kicked, screamed, thrashed her hips, and flailed her extremities about in protest as I tried to change her diaper. Her current most-used word is "NO!", and she uses it rather appropriately. My favorite use so far occurs when we are in Target and Jillian tries to push the cart where she is riding. It happens every time. If I put something on her tray she doesn't want, she throws it off and says, "NO!". If I try to put her sleep sack on her at bedtime, she bats my hand away and says "NO!". When I tried to give her motrin this morning (darn eye teeth), she shook her head fervently in refusal and shouted, "NO!"

Despite this sudden streak of "uncooperativeness", she remains overwhelmingly sweet. She loves to check in with me for a hug every so often as she plays and blows kisses as she pretends to go "bye-bye". Her new thing at bedtime is to shove her lovie in my face and make kissing noises to signal me to kiss the lovie. We have to do this about 15 times.

Adrienne makes animal noises (cat, goat, mouse, monkey, elephant, dog, pig, cow, horse), asks for favorite books by name ("dum dum dum" for Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Dr. Seuss--the monkeys play drums to the beat of "dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum, "moon" for Goodnight Moon), and loves to shout at and for her sister "Jee--yee--uh!" Jillian thinks it is rather entertaining to ask Adrienne to say words and then giggle at her approximations. She is right. I usually hear, "A, say Cheerio!" or "A, say banana!" about 75 times per day.

Since deciding to walk last weekend, Adrienne is really moving along and can't be trusted. She pretty much left cabinets, drawers, etc alone while just crawling (which really surprised me, but I was thankful), but it making up for it now. She is like a moth to a flame with the dishwasher, lower oven door (which will never be used now..), trash, and the drawer where I keep the foil, baggies, etc. It just might be time to give her a drawer for her "stuff" to divert her attention. She also is pretty excited about door knobs and stands on her tippy toes to try and reach them. I'm thankful she can't.

Adrienne loves to be outside and shrieks with delight when you ask, "Do you want to go outside?" She loves to play in the cozy coupe on the deck, swing, take wagon rides, and toddle around the yard. Last week she played with sidewalk chalk for the first time with Jillian, which was a smash hit.

Books are still her favorite activity, along with pushing a doll stroller and loving on her babies or anything stuffed. She loves sunglasses and bows, showing both off with pride and gesture to all we meet. Perhaps we have a true diva in the making? Here are a few recent pics of our (sniff) toddler....

Sunglasses at breakfast are not an uncommon accessory these days
Little fashionista with one of her "bows"

Someone stole ALL the sidewalk chalk from her sister. You can bet this joy was short-lived.

Sisters, sunglasses, and sidewalk chalk (and Jillian in a dress that is WAY too short!)

Coloring like a big girl

Just strollin' (and wearing another bow..)

Books, lovie, her favorite PJ's, and a post-bath comb over. She was mid elephant noise when I snapped this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment