template

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Contrasts

As predicted, it has been a rough behavior week as we battle the backlash of grandparent withdrawal. I have heard people say that kids "punish" you when you return from an adults only trip by acting out as revenge for leaving them. Though I think that's a bit harsh of an assertion, I can see maybe a tiny bit of truth in it. Tuesday was particularly ugly, but it had some sweet spots thrown in. I am always amazed by a child's ability to be so naughty one minute and intensely cherubic the next. Jillian provided such a nice example of these contrasts. The following two scenarios occurred within about an hour of each other.

Naughty: While playing on the floor with her sister, or actually just near her sister, she picked up a stuffed monkey, looked at me, then proceeded to smack Adrienne across the face with it. Unprovoked, and for no obvious reason. I sent her to her room until dinner (which was punishment in that she did not get to watch her show while I cooked as she usually does) and told her that she was going to have to tell her dad about this when he got home.  The story becomes humorous when we cut to the dinner scene. As we are eating Matt asks Jillian about her day. She of course does not bring up the incident of violence. I remind her that she has something to tell her dad.
J: "Oh you tell him, Mom"
Me: "No, Jillian, you need to tell him what happened"
Matt: "What happened Jillian?"
J: "Oh, nothing...."
Me: "Jillian you need to tell your dad what you did to Adrienne today"
J: "But I don't remember" (said while looking sheepish and biting her lip)
Matt: (in his serious, stern dad voice) "Jillian tell me right now"
J: (casually) "Oh, it's just such a long story"
Nice try, Jillian! Visions of teenage years make me sweat.

Sweet: Jillian came downstairs from her "rest" time and Adrienne was still sleeping. She said, "Mom I have a great idea! Let's put a blanket on the kitchen floor and have a picnic with our snack, just you and me". I concurred that this was a fun plan and she was happy, smiley, and engaging in the conversation about a whole host of topics. At one point I got up to to get a drink and she said, "Mom, sit down. I am not done talking to you" (OK...). I returned and she said, "I love you, Mom". "I love you, too, Jillian" Then I just got curious, as I like to hear what she has to say about things.
Me: "Jillian, how do you know you love someone?"
J: "Well, they love you. It means I love you"
Me: "OK, but how do you know?"
J: "You have to have Jesus in your heart"
Me: "Yes, it's good to have Jesus in your heart. Do you have Jesus in your heart, Jillian?"
J: "Not yet. I should ask him right now. We have to pray, Mom"
I am quiet, sort of stunned, as I watch her fold her little hands, close her eyes and bow her head as she prays,
"Dear Jesus, get into my heart. Amen". Then she turns to me, opens her eyes and exclaims,
"There, Mom! He's in my heart!! Can I have some more popcorn?"
This kid is something else. Love you, Jillian.

No comments:

Post a Comment