template

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Iron Clad

Oh, the will of a 3 year old. I had forgotten. Silly me. I've been trying to figure out how to write this post for weeks now, because while I don't want to "complain" or paint an ill picture of my darling second born, I aim to speak only the truth on this here blog. And the truth is that Adrienne is quite the little pickle these days. Now that we are back in this stage, I remember that 3 is generally "worse" than age 2, and that 3 1/2 is the most difficult age of all. Adrienne is asserting herself like never before, and digs her heels in to prove her point many, many, many times per day.  She has to be exhausted from all the stand downs--I know I sure am. So, bedtime is pretty hard. Last week she had a 90 minute scream fest that threatened to ruin her dad's nerves once and for all. The funny thing about the bedtime drama is that she stops to yawn often, which I find very validating for me. The kid needs to sleep. She's also found a new way to try and threaten me to comply with her wishes. She uses this a couple times a day, and I do my best not to laugh out loud. It goes something like this--

A: "I want peanut butter for suppah"
Me: "We are not having peanut butter tonight. You had peanut butter at lunch. This (pointing to her plate) is your dinner"
A: "If you don't give me peanut butter, I'm NEVAH EATING SUPPAH AGAIN!!"

or

A: "I want a treat."
Me: "We are not having dessert tonight. You had a treat after school."
A: "Little kids can made decisions for demselves!!!! Give me a treat or I'm nevah eating suppah again!" 

Listen, kid. This isn't my first time at the 3 year old rodeo. You want to protest your dinner and skip a meal? Fine with me.

You get the picture. But guess what? She is also saying some really cute stuff these days that doesn't bring me to my wits end.

-Last week the girls were looking at Christmas ornaments on the tree, and they came across the one from Jillian's first Christmas. Adrienne asked Matt where she was when Jillian was a baby. Matt told her she wasn't born yet. So, Adrienne shared her interpretation with her sister a short while later: "Jillian you know where I was when you were a baby? I was dead."

-She and I were waiting in the dr's office for an appt this week when a woman in high heels walked by. Adrienne watched her walk away, turned to me, and then asked, "Mommy, why not do I get to wear doze shoes with da wands on the bottom?"

-And yesterday, we were stuck in the school pick up line to end all lines and Adrienne complained that she had to pee NOW. There was no way out of this line, nowhere to go, and she assured me she could not wait ("Mom, da pee is going to come out of my bottom now!!!") So I had to think fast. Luckily, I found a pull up in the console, so I told her she was going to have to get out of her car seat, take her pants off, put on the pull up and pee in it, and then take it off and get re-dressed. Not fantastic, but it was better than a wet car seat, right? So she complied, but had plenty of complaints as she was undressing, "Mom, dis is da worstest fing dat evah happened to me!" Of course, once we got all the clothing switched out she declared she could wait until we got home (and she did). 

No dull moments over here. EVAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment