template

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Believe It.

Wow. How do I even begin to describe the weather horror that was May 2nd?!? I have always heard that a May snowfall is possible in Minnesota, but this? You just had to see it to believe it. Fifteen inches (yes, 15!!) when all was said and done. No school. Stuck at home. Oh, and did I mention my husband is out of town on his guys-only trip to the Kentucky Derby? Less. Than. Awesome. I woke to this scene out my window...








These were deer tracks on my front door mat (partially covered with snow by the time I took the pic). Even the wildlife was angry. I guess I didn't hear her ring the door bell...

By late morning, we had progressed to this scene out my bedroom patio door.



I sent the above two pictures to my husband, whining about the scene, and then he promptly sent me this one, which was out his St Louis hotel room window.
No, he was not on my good side

The news was full of closings--my dentist office even closed (I was supposed to have a cleaning that morning), and the RAC closed. This all seemed unprecedented--and was in the 7 years we have been here. Part of the issue was power outages, I think, as the snow was ridiculously heavy and wet. I began to worry that we would experience loss of power, too. While it wasn't that cold, a loss of electricity also means loss of water for us since we live "in the country" and are on a well. I hit the panic button (pressed it lightly), and filled my bathtub with water (for toilet flushing), every water bottle/jug I could find, and boiled a bit pot on the stove (figured it would keep warm for awhile if we needed some to wash hands, etc). I was ready. Thankfully, we never lost power and survived the day being stuck indoors together without a plan. Jillian tried to play outside, but lasted about 3 minutes because the snow was too deep and heavy for her to walk in.
We broke all kinds of weather records that day, and can now say we are a part of this history. This is definitely some history that I do NOT want to repeat!  Here's to Spring...wherever she may be.

Target parking lot. Two days post snow storm (with above freezing temps for over 24 hrs). Quite an impressive snow plow pile in May...I'm not sure it was ever this big in February!

No comments:

Post a Comment