template

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

22 Months

Adrienne is closing in on age two and is now 22  months. She is so silly, and honestly, has become a little stinker who loves to find herself some trouble. She also likes to discipline herself, and will often go get the time out chair and tell me "I need time out" and sit there. While it is cute, it does nothing to help the effectiveness of time out as a usable discipline strategy. Back to the drawing board for me! Her current favorite acts of mischief include...

-Trying to open the oven door (use of the bottom oven is NEVER an option)
-Reaching up on the stove (she cannot reach the gas knobs, thankfully, but I do have to cook on the back burners)
-Reaching up onto the counters (which means I have to be mindful of where I set everything. We lost a dinner plate when she pulled it off the ledge onto the floor)
-Removing "childproof" electric outlet covers and pretending she is a baby with a pacifier (so not awesome and sends me into a frenzy)
-Jumping from the side table onto the couch
-Turning the microwave on
-Opening the freezer door and removing items (we have one that is a drawer style underneath the fridge)
-Removing her diaper. Still. I thought we had this under control until one night last week I entered her room to do my pre-bedtime check and was greeted with a most horrific smell. I quickly discovered she had removed her diaper and pajamas, fell asleep, pooped, and then rolled around her bed as usual unaware. Without going into too many details I will say this is the most disgusting mess I have cleaned up to date as a parent. I had to call in reinforcements, which meant I got to listen to Matt gag involuntarily as he stripped the bed and I began a 3-step bathing process. At 10:30 p.m. So. Now she gets a little "belt" of duct tape around her diaper at sleeping times. Don't freak out and call child services or anything--nothing is touching her skin, and it is not tight. It is just to cover the tabs. She actually thinks it's great and always says, "This is fun! I yike tape". So far, so good.

A few other things about Adrienne at this age....

-Starting to use 'Dad' and 'Mom' vs. 'Mommy' and 'Daddy'. This transition always breaks my heart a bit. To hear "I love you, Mom" and "Good night, Dad" sounds so much more grown up.

-The most cheerful morning person ever. "Good morning, Jillian!" or "Good morning, Sister!" can probably be heard from the top of our street because she is so enthusiastic. She also tells me, "I seep good, Mom"

-Adores her big sister and wants to do everything she does. I hear "I want to do it, too" about 40,000 times per day. She will not be left out.

-Knows everyone's preferences and knows how to give a well-timed compliment. She has a dress in her closet that is the same as one of Jillian's, and every morning she points to it and says, "Jillian yikes that dress". She also says, "Mommy yikes coffee".  She also knows when she is in trouble, because she quickly doles out a compliment. I can be putting her back in her bed for the billionth time, using a stern voice while doing so, and she will begin, "I yike your hair, Mom" or "I love you, Mom", or "I yike your sunglasses, Mom" (referring to my glasses). It is sweet and manipulative all at the same time.

-Is social, and is not afraid to initiate conversations. I have just started seeing her go up to random kids or grown-ups in the last couple of weeks and talking to them on her own initiative. She'll say things like, "I have new shoes" or "My name's Ay-dee-en", or "Jillian's at school". It's cute to watch her test her ability to engage someone she doesn't know.

-Current favorite book is "I Love You, Stinky Face" (she calls it "But, Mama. But, Mama" in imitation of the way the boy in the story asks his mom questions). She can pretty much recite every word.

-She is starting to be able to put her clothes on. She can get short socks on herself and I often find her pants on inside out after nap, which means she has removed them and donned them again.

-She will pee on the potty before bath at night. I know that she is ready to potty train (and I even let her pick out underwear at Target--she chose My Little Pony), but I am not ready. When Jillian is done with school for the summer we will have the ability to stay home more and tackle it. Hopefully I won't miss my window.

-Requires a bit less carrying. She wants to walk to/from the car most anywhere we go, though will still request, "Mommy carry you" at times. Now if I can get her to crawl into her car seat, that would really lighten my lifting load. She is still rear-facing and never makes a peep about it, so that skill won't really be feasible until we turn her around. 

Adrienne is quite a little character, full of charm and spunk, yet her initial softness remains. One of my favorite parts of the day is hearing her tell me good night. I say, "I love you, Sweetie" and she replies, "I love you Sweetie Mommy". It's like an echo with a personalized twist. I sure love this little sunshine of mine.








No comments:

Post a Comment