template

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Refueled

This weekend was a time of refueling for me, on so many levels. It is sort of cliche to talk about how a mom feels drained, like she's running on empty at times--but it's true. I am the first to say that I am more fortunate than most in my situation of stay-at-home-motherhood, primarily because I have great friends and have the opportunity to do so many things with other moms on a regular basis. I have access to childcare if I need it, for workouts, appts, etc--I know that my blessings are too numerous to count. But, everyone needs their cup refilled from time to time, and I feel like mine is overflowing today.

The weekend began with a kid-free dinner with Jenni at my favorite spot (ZZest), and we managed to squeeze in a 3 course dinner in about 45 minutes before heading to the Devoted Hearts Conference. It was my first time at this Christian women's conference that is held annually in Rochester, and to be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect. What I did know is that I was not going to miss the chance to hear Jen Hatmaker speak. I read her book "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess", last summer and it rocked my world. I am a faithful reader of her blog, and love her fresh perspective (and ability to hit me between the eyes) on so many topics. The time at this conference Friday evening and most of the day Saturday was exciting. It was emotional. It was hard. It was challenging. It was funny. It was nurturing. It was revitalizing. Jen did not disappoint, and I also enjoyed talks/music from Laura Story and Kelly Minter. Wonderful, real women sharing their experiences with other women as friends do. Totally good for the soul.

Why yes, that is just Kara and I being total nerds and standing in line to have our picture taken with Jen Hatmaker.


Today I ran in the Diva Dash, which is a 5 or 10K for women only in support of the MN Ovarian Cancer Association. I chose the 5K option as a little fitness goal as I work my way back into running. I forgot how much I love to run these races--the energy and positive atmosphere is just plain fun. We had an absolutely gorgeous morning to jaunt around Silver Lake, and I was pleased to beat my goal by 90 seconds. A win in my book, and a great start to my day. I told Matt and the girls to just stay at home since it would be such a short time, so I don't have any pics of me in action or anything. Matt snapped one of me after I arrived home post race.
A sweaty old lady.



I gave my husband a break from all his childcare duties after the race, and then later he and I headed out on an afternoon date. We had several hours to sit upstairs on the patio at the Taphouse, run a couple errands, and chat over a leisurely sushi dinner. Total perfection to cap off such a great weekend filled with blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment