Matt asked Jillian awhile ago if she wanted to get a tent and sleep in the backyard this summer. Jillian's reply was a fast, "No thanks, Dad. We have to sleep in the house". Last week she suddenly revisited the topic when we were in Target, and asked me if she could sleep in a tent outside. I told her that she of course could do that--with her dad. On Sunday we went to the little local Oxbow Zoo (this reminds me I haven't shared pics of that trip yet--Adrienne's first time at a zoo...), and Matt made sure to drive by the campsite associated with the park to show Jillian how people set the tents up, etc. She was full of questions, then suddenly ready to set a camp date. Matt told her they would work on getting a tent so that they could go camping in the next few weeks. Side note: I am relieved that at this point this can be a "Daddy and Jillian" thing. Momma doesn't camp, and doesn't want to start camping. Adrienne is a good excuse now, I may have to come up with something else down the road! Anyway, tonight Matt brought a surprise home for Jillian.
They discussed their camping plan at dinner, and Jillian had a pretty good idea of things they will need to pack: sleeping bags, chips, juice boxes, grapes, lots of books, flashlights, marshmallows, and sticks.When I went to tuck her in tonight, I noticed she had over 50% of her wardrobe laid out on her window seat and shoved into a canvas drawer. (This included every single pair of underwear, all of her pajamas--summer and winter, and every single dress hanging in her closet).
In a serious, heartfelt tone she made her request: "Mom, this is what I am taking camping with Dad. Can you please pack it for me?" I don't think he realizes what he's gotten himself into!
We have had a very similar discussion in our house and since our tent is only a two person, or one adult and two children as I've decided. Daddy gets to take A&R camping and I get to sleep in the house by. my. self! :) Jillian will have a blast!
ReplyDelete