It recently occurred to me that I am lazy when it comes to applying my knowledge of child development to activities with my own children. I have quite an arsenal of fun experiences I could provide, yet often just get caught up in basic daily cares and activities, not making time for enriching tasks that I know are so crucial to helping them learn about themselves and their world. It's time to start, and what better way than with a little daily dose of sensory play? Jillian is a sensory seeker to be sure, so I knew she would love the chance to dive into some messy play. I started offering this immediately after rest time. As soon as her timer goes off, she can run downstairs and will find our designated "sensory bin" full of some fun media to explore. Here is a peek at the first three days of tactile fun.
First, I poured a couple of bags of dried pinto beans in the bin and offered various cups, spoons, containers for scooping and pouring. It was a hit. She giggled as she enjoyed making the beans "rain" as she dropped them through her fingers. At some point she decided she needed to try putting her feet in them, and eventually, her face. She worked up to attempting a full body immersion, and managed to do pretty well with that.
![]() |
| It is important to note that she dressed herself in the above photo. She obviously isn't afraid to take a fashion risk. |
Soon ,the arms were involved as well. She kept shouting, "Come on, Mom, put it all over your arms! These are my witch hands!" (As a side note, I had no clue what she meant and didn't even know she knew what a witch was!).
Today, she found a bin of soapy, warm water. I showed her how to use a straw to blow into the water to make lots of bubbles. She swallowed a few gulps before she got the hang of it, but then there was no stopping her. Once she was satisfied with her mound of bubbles, she loved to stomp them down with her feet.
Her face didn't escape the water, either. She is definitely not afraid to submerge herself for the sake of some good clean fun.Trying out a bubble beard
I am sure by now you probably are wondering where Adrienne is during all of this hoopla. So far, she's been right there with us, hanging out on my lap as she watches her sister. It appears she either finds her:
a) Crazy
or b) Funny
I have no documented pictures to prove it, but Mom is having lots of fun with this, too!

Only an OT! Love it!
ReplyDelete