template

Sunday, October 2, 2011

First Pie

As you might have guessed, Jillian and I planned to make an apple pie with the apples we picked yesterday. It was actually her idea (not sure why she was so into the idea of making one), but I was thrilled at the suggestion. Pie making holds a great deal of sentiment for me, and so many of my memories with and of my Grammy lie in that activity. I am so thankful that I asked her to teach me the art, and never pick up my rolling pin without thinking of her. Though I no longer need to read the recipe for her crust, I still get out the recipe card that she gave me. It is covered in her unmistakable writing, and ends with a note of encouragement: "Do not give up. Making a pie is a labor of love. Try, try again!" She is right. And so begins my task of passing on this tradition to my daughter.....
Checking out the bottom crust after we put it in the pan. Jillian is wearing her apron, which was my mom's as a child. It was embroidered by my grandma and says "October" (both J and my mom have October birthdays)

Making sure it is just right

Spreading out the apples in the pan

Trying to dust the cinnamon/sugar/nutmeg mixture off her hands

Time to roll out the top crust. This girl is a natural with the rolling pin.

Getting some help from mom (please ignore my disheveled appearance. I have a baby, remember?)


My apron might make you giggle, but the smock holds sentimental value as well. It was Grammy's and I always wear it when making a pie. I like to think of it as "channeling my inner Edna"

Brushing on the milk before the last sprinkling of sugar. I had to oversee this step carefully, she nearly poured the entire cup of milk over the pie as I was fetching the pastry brush.

Ready for the oven!

Betty Crocker's got nothing on us

Fresh out of the oven. I love how every pie looks different when it is complete. This one definitely reflects the gusto Jillian brought to the task...big patches of extra sugar, gaps in the fragile crust from rough handling, and haphazard decorative venting slits. It was just perfect.  
Jillian was beyond excited to try this pie. So excited, in fact, that she could not fall asleep at nap time. After dinner we presented her with a piece a la mode.

The verdict? She wouldn't touch it! We could not convince her to try it. It apparently didn't look as she imagined it. Either that or she is too young to understand the physical changes that occur when something is baked. Oh well, more for me! I'm sure it won't be long before she discovers the delicacy of a great piece of homemade pie.

1 comment:

  1. Baking with your girl is the best! (Malea and I had a similar baking extravaganza recently too. Love apples in the fall!) I cracked up to hear that after all that careful work, Jillian refused to try her hand crafted, super delicious pie! More for mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete