template

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Summer Fun--Week 8

Just when I think we have a 'slow' week, we manage to pack a lot of stuff in. We started the week with a little creative outlet. Jillian has been feeling blue about Adrienne's new coveted Barbie car--let's call it what it is--pure envy. So, after much whining about not having her own Barbie car, she decided to make one. She asked me for a box, and she went to town. I was pretty impressed with the results! This pimped out ride even has seat belts and satellite radio!



80's on 8 blaring on the speakers

On Monday afternoon, we had a big old case of "I'm Bored". It's amazing how fast that happens. So, I made a list of a few things I'd be willing to orchestrate and told the girls each to choose one for us to do that afternoon. Adrienne selected making playdoh, so we did.

And Jillian was all over the organizational task of making a kids snack drawer in the fridge. I cleaned out the bottom drawer we normally use for cheeses and the girls and I selected healthy snacks we could keep in there and have washed/portioned and ready for snack time. They can now get pre-approved snacks independently. Everybody wins, and there's a lot less raccooning around my kitchen digging for and negotiating snacks. Score!


On Tuesday, Jillian went to Camp Animal Lovers at the RAC for the morning. The campers walked over to Paws and Claws, our local animal shelter, and got to learn about the animals, play with them, and then walk back to the RAC for lunch and free play in the Neighborhood. She loved it. Adrienne was so excited that her most requested birthday wish--a Zippy Sack--finally arrived a month late! It was on back order. She was so excited that she invited Jillian over for a sleepover to celebrate. So long adorable Pottery Barn quilt....hello tacky animal sleeping bag-eqsue bed cover.....sigh.



On Wednesday I went out to the garden to discover that we were being overtaken by cucumbers. No complaints here....I made some pickles and they are gooooood.



We then headed over to my dear friend, Julie's, house for a playdate with her grandson, Caden. Caden is 2, and the girls just love him. They played horses with horses Julie saved from her girls when they were little, pulled Caden in the wagon, blew bubbles, ran around the yard, and had loads of yummy sweet treats for snack time on Julie's awesome porch. Thumbs up for a party at Miss Julie's!



On Wednesday, Matt got home early from work and took the girls to the County Fair. I escaped this outing by having book club that night, and I shed absolutely zero tears. While I was enjoying grown up girl time, the girls were having a ball with their daddy, who is always way more fun than their mom. Live it up, girls. What happens at the fair, stays at the fair.



I had a good chuckle as I walked up the stairs late that night after arriving home to do my nightly check on the girls. The stair lighting illuminated this little sheep, who was 'penned' in the corner by the stair banister. If you look carefully, he's also labeled as a sheep--just in case there was any question of his identity.

Upon further examination, I discovered we had a whole farm at various points up the stairs. Who knew?




On Thursday and Friday, Jillian attended Camp Cascade Meadows at the RAC. Cascade Meadows is right next to the RAC, and Jillian learned about soil types, natural grasses, and other environmental things for a couple hours, then they walked back to the RAC for lunch and swimming. Poor Adrienne was stuck with Mom. We lunched at the RAC and then I listened to her complain how TIRED she was as we ran gobs of errands. She is for sure my little buddy.




We combated another bout of boredom on Thursday afternoon with some teamwork on a big puzzle.


On Thursday night, Matt came home for dinner after work briefly, and then headed up to stay in the Cities, as he was slated to work at Mayo Square the next day. Jillian gave him a card for him to write down his "happy memories" of his trip.

Daddy complied, and brought home his very detailed journal 24 hours later. Nice work, Dad.



The weekend forecast looked amazing, so we knew we needed to be outside as much as possible. We decided to head to Oxbow to hike. When we arrived, we found the new natural playground open and it did not disappoint. Really awesome area with a frog pond, place to dig bones, wind chimes to play with, and lots of open spaces to run free.



Little did the girls know that a "troll" was hiding under this bridge!!

Making music with rocks.



Soon we headed off on our hike. We hiked about an hour, and after zigzagging across a few different trails, figure it was about 1 1/2 miles or so. It was not without a million complaints and stops for water.



 
After our hike, we quickly walked through the zoo to check on the animals, then headed to Newt's for lunch. After lunch we surprised the girls with their first trip to Cherry Berry (let it be known that Mom wanted to go to Flapdoodles instead!). You can imagine the girls' delight when they learned they could control how much frozen yogurt went in their cups and all the various toppings they could bedazzle it with. And I do mean bedazzle. Adrienne had a lot of fun with the bedazzling. Somewhere under all this is some chocolate frozen yogurt.





She ate almost all of this. Super gross.

After a carb coma nap for the parents (and a little movie for the kids), we loaded up and hit the country club pool for the afternoon. No pics of this, but I should have taken some--it was the first time we allowed Adrienne to swim without any flotation device! Two kids in the water sans floaties, and two parents (with eagle eyes of course) on deck chairs. Whoopee!

Today the girls and I went to church, then ran home for a quick lunch and then we all headed to meet the Tauntons at the Honkers baseball game. There wasn't much baseball watching, but there was a lot of cotton candy requests. So many that we decided to just give them some so we could carry on our various adult conversations.






Adrienne was so cute--she was desperate to get a picture with Slider, but then got all tongue in cheek nervous.



Baby Jack was a really good sport!


After the game we took a walk over to Chester's for some time in the AC, and rocked the chef's table for an early dinner. Just a little snap of part of our crazy.

It was time to go home and get these kids in bed, but they just refused to budge. I was told things such as, "We aren't leaving" and "My bottom is glued to this bench". Love that these kids love each other and enjoy spending time together as their parents do. So grateful!

Little stinkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment