My mom and sisters and I enjoyed our first ever girls weekend, in honor of Mallory's baby shower. It was so great to have time just the four of us, and we packed a lot of stuff into 48 hours together.
On Thursday, I hit boot camp class before grabbing my iced latte and getting on the road. Jillian is into texting Matt and I from each other's phones, so I texted her this picture in response to her inquiry as to whether or not I was on the road yet.
I arrived at my parents' in time for Mom to help me finish up some shower prep, and then we looked through some baby pictures of Mal and decided which ones to display at the shower. I had a good laugh at this picture, circa 1987. I think I was trying to grow my bangs out. Whatever.
Since I figured I probably hadn't dined out alone with my parents since Megan was born in 1981 (and it probably was at Burger King), I thought we should celebrate the occasion. It was fun to take my parents out to one of their favorite places. I am bummed we didn't think to get a picture of us...but I did get a picture of my killer piece of asiago-crusted halibut.
Mom and I were up and at 'em early, and after a drive through Starbucks, we made the trek to KC.
We met at Mal's at lunchtime, and Megan joined us shortly afterwards. We promptly made our way to Oklahoma Joe's for a nice long wait in line to get some awesome BBQ. Worth every second!
After lunch Mal treated us to pedicures downtown.
My lady got a little crafty with my toe art. Impressive!
After toes, we were off to meet Uncle John for a beer at a local brewery. Mal enjoyed her water while we all enjoyed a cold one.
Next our chauffeur (thanks, Mal!) drove us out to the Legends for some shopping. We closed the place down, then picked up late night pizza at d'Bronx (a nostalgic spot for me from my OT school days) to take back to Mal's.
I was pretty excited to gift everyone with their mom t-shirts before bed. I saw these on a blog and I just could not resist. I knew we needed these for our official moms weekend.
On Saturday morning, Mal made us some killer homemade cinnamon rolls.....
....so Meg and I decided we needed to go for a run to balance things out. It was fun to run together and I love the urban scenery. It was HOTTTTT...
We soon cleaned up and then headed up north to scope out the spot for the shower and get things ready. John's mom graciously secured the clubhouse in her neighborhood for our event, which worked out really well. We kept our theme in line with Mal's nursery motif--nautical.
After the shower, we cleaned up and then headed to dinner in Brookside at Avenue's Bistro. Then we promptly enjoyed some fabulous custard at Foo's and grabbed some coffee at The Roasterie. We were wiped at the end of such a busy, crazy day, but managed to sift through and gawk at all Mal's shower gifts. Baby stuff is so much fun!
On Sunday morning Meg and I took a short run to the River Market to get coffee, then Mom and I packed up and headed north. Dad said he would have lunch waiting for us...and I admit I was a bit nervous. You never know what my dad will do when he's in the kitchen. Lucky for us, he drove out to Prairie City and picked us up Iowa's number one rated pork tenderloin sandwich. Yahoo! This thing was a serious endeavor. But I had zero trouble finishing it.
After lunch, it was time for my final leg home. I am so thankful for a fun, memory-filled weekend with my mom and sisters....and also for the special time that Matt and the girls enjoyed while I was away.
No comments:
Post a Comment