template

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Comfortable

I'll get to the meaning behind the post title in a bit. First, just a few amusing things with Adrienne this week...

-We take turns selecting car music. There is A LOT of princess music, and a lot of "Jesus music", and current pop hits. Once in a while I can sneak in a little Coffeehouse, 80s on 8 or 90s on 9 satellite radio and I have fun telling the girls about how I used to listen to certain songs in college with their dad, or as a little kid, or whatever. Adrienne likes to comment on the music. On particular day, she had selected one of everyone's favorite Jesus songs "Lord, I Need You". Chris Tomlin says that phrase a lot in the song. Adrienne sings it VERY loud, and she really loves the song. Just once, she was quiet and listened to the words, and then said, "Wow, Mom he must REALLY need God". She got the emphasis in the repeated language for sure! And then, as we pulled up to the RAC I had the 80s radio station on and "We're gonna rock down to electric avenue" came on. I turned it up and was singing along. As I turned the car off and we got out, Adrienne said, "That is the most ridiculous song I've ever heard". Maybe she'll be a music critic someday?


-She's been a little extra ornery these days, just generally mischievous (ie: getting in the bath with her clothes on, climbing the tall back of her bed for the sake of being Rapunzel, etc). It was long after I had bathed her and blow dried her hair (her request) when she went up to play in her room. When she came down for supper, her hair was wet and thus curly again. I sighed because I knew she had been playing in the water (and probably the conditioner again) and I pimped her several times about the state of the bathroom. Finally she held up her hand (in a "talk to the hand" sort of manner) and proclaimed, "Mom, for real life there is no water on the floor in the bathroom". OK.

-As we were driving home from school we were chatting about Jillian's day. First she said it was fine, then she said it was bad because a couple girls were making fun of Adrienne because Jillian told them she slept with 3 night lights. I asked her how in the world they were talking about Adrienne and her light preferences, and Jillian said she admitted to being scared of the dark and using one nightlight. I think this little "friend" started to make fun of Jillian for using a nightlight, and then Jillian quickly threw her sister under the bus to save herself. Adrienne listened to all of this and then turned to her sister, "Jillian! Nobody needs to know what I do at night!"

-Yesterday I let her watch a movie in the afternoon. She chose Tangled. I asked her if she wanted to watch it upstairs or down in the basement. She thought sincerely for a moment and then said, "Upstairs. Because Rapunzel is stuck upstairs in her tower". She also changed into her Rapunzel costume, had me take down and blow dry her hair ("so it's like Rapunzel when her hair is short) and made sure to remove her socks (Rapunzel doesn't wear any). Simulation is very important.

-With preschool conferences coming up next week, Adrienne's report card was sent home for us to review. On the back of every report card is a space for the teacher to write a little summary. This is our 4th year of preschool between the two girls, and I can honestly say that Mrs Leif wrote the most accurate summary I've ever read. It's the first time I've read one of those summaries and thought--"She totally gets my kid". Not that any have ever been grossly inaccurate, just never as thoughtful and detailed as this one. She commented that Adrienne is an "interesting combination of intellect and imagination" (definitely) and then my favorite part: "She is comfortable in her own skin". Yes, yes, yes.  Matt and I were talking about this later and agreed this is something we want desperately for her to retain as she grows older. It's such a challenge to be comfortable in one's own skin all throughout life, isn't it? For now, one of my favorite manifestations of this 'comfort' in her is her wild outfits she puts on for the occasion of going to pick up Jillian. I'll give you just the last two days in photos.

Dress, mermaid top, superhero cape, and turtle visor

Proud.

Oh and black patent shoes sans socks are an important part of the ensemble. Here you see her defending her choices to her sister, who thought she looked, and I quote: "Completely inappropriate"

What? This isn't how you wear an old necktie? I think this outfit should be titled "Ninja Dorothy". The pinkeye is a nice touch, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment