School took Spring portraits and Jillian felt very strongly about picking her background, clothing, and dictated that I was to blow dry and flat iron her hair for this occasion. I wasn't wild about a fake outdoor scenery background, but again, this was an opportunity to take a baby step of letting go, so I let it fly. She brought the pictures home yesterday and I nearly fainted. I heart this picture; it epitomizes so much about her big kid-ness right now. I can even deal with the background, because I am too distracted by my beautiful, growing daughter to notice it.
The writing continues to get smaller, more legible, and more thoughtful.
Matt took Jillian to her first official elementary school carnival last night (A and I stayed home due to the pink eye). She came home bursting with joy and enthusiasm from the special time with her dad and was SO proud of the school sweatshirt he bought her.
Part of being a big kid is participating in school fundraisers. Let me say it once: I hate the idea of school fundraising. I've never been one keen on things where you have to ask friends/family to spend money to help you out, and the coupon books that kids around here sell don't have many we'd use. But yet, I buy them because I feel bad for the kids coming to my door (and while I don't like the idea of fundraising, I'm happy to provide money to support schools--that's not the issue). For the fall fundraiser I noticed an opt out option, where you could just return your packet and a $40 donation to the school. Perfect. This time, they showed the kids a video of all the cool prizes they could win and presented it to them before I ever got to see/hear about it. I have issues with this, too, but that's for another post. So, we have five $20 coupon books to sell for Rochester locations, and Jillian honestly believes she HAS to sell them all. She desperately wanted to get started today, and to do this herself, so we worked out a little speech and I stood on the front porch to watch while she went and did her thing. Just after I snapped this pic, she turned around and hollered, "Mom, go back in the house. I'm good!"
![]() |
| There goes my little saleswoman off into the world. |
She was bummed to find 3 houses on our street unoccupied and then was turned down by another neighbor (who has two kids that have solicited at our house sooooo many times in the last year and I have supported them every time...sigh). She came home devastated. Crying. Sobbing. "I just think I didn't say the right thing! I'll never sell these books!" Ugh. Thank you, school, for putting unnecessary pressure on my first born perfectionist. We had a heart to heart about timing of sales, about lowering expectations, and about not taking rejections personally. I was emotionally exhausted by 10 a.m. today!




No comments:
Post a Comment