template

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Random Musings

Here is where I begin what is likely to be a rather disorganized and random post. I have a lot of thoughts and stories swirling in my head, so I'll type as I think of them. We made it through our first full week of school. On Thursday, Jillian hit the proverbial wall of kindergarten exhaustion and she proceeded to cry no less than 10 times between pick up and bedtime. Things got ugly. I thought the weekend would bring some respite, but a soccer game and two birthday parties killed that idea. We began this week with a break in the evening action, and now we are in the middle of a three night stretch of activities. What? I do not like evening activities. Matt and I just looked at each other last night as we were getting ready for bed, shrugged our shoulders, and agreed that this is the beginning of a new era for our family. I feel myself fighting it. I do not like the busy-ness. I want to be home and have a lovely little routine with everyone eating dinner together, bathing, leisurely bedtime reading, and early (early!) bedtimes. I haven't quite figured out how to stay home in the day time, like at all, this school year yet. Despite much planning and orchestrating the schedule choices, one never really knows how it all is going to shake out until it does shake out. I am in the car a lot, and when I AM home, I am just doing the bare minimum to keep us at baseline functioning for food and laundry. Still waiting for that time where I suddenly have all this time at home to do projects now that school is in session. Yes, waiting. Now is where I do point out that I am going to the gym nearly every day, which is very very good for me on a whole host of levels, but it does bring consequences. We'll get it all sorted out, I'm sure. For now, I'm just doing the best I can. Enough of my processing, let's get to what you came for....fun kid quips.

A few things about Jillian right now--Kindergarten is still "awesome". Media (library) is "awesome". She wore a Jayhawk shirt to school today and the librarian apparently gushed over her and informed her that she went to KU! Smart one, that librarian. Homework is boring. If she is interested in something, she'll tell you she's "in-stra-sted" in it. After much deliberation, she is preparing to purchase her first official school lunch tomorrow. I'm doing my best to withhold my opinion, letting her make the choice. She'll figure out it's probably not a good one soon enough. Jillian informed me that every time they have centers in her classroom (twice per day) she will choose art. Why? "Because I love art, Mom. All the other girls choose Littlest Pet Shop, but I don't care that I'm doing art by myself". But today, she came home and told me she did the Littlest Pet Shop for the first time--and no one joined her. She said she was sad, and it tugged at my heart a bit. I hear a lot about this kid named John in her class. He is for sure her favorite person in her class, and the only one she ever consistently talks about. John needs to get his act together, however, because she informs me that he plays with her as long as Billy isn't around. It seems that Billy is a friend of his in another class and he sees him at recess. John and Billy leave Jillian out, according to her account. Shape up, John! In other friend drama, Jillian has a friend, Kyra, who goes to her school but isn't in her class. They stand outside and talk/play together while they wait in the pick up line. I have had some trouble getting Jillian to watch for me as I pull up (and the kids need to watch b/c that pick up line is a well oiled machine with very specific processes for drop off and pick up spots). Twice I saw a teacher get after the two of them for goofing off too much. Each day I ask Jillian what is going on and she tells me that she is trying to get Kyra to stay with her and not run off somewhere else. So she spins it as though she is trying to save the day, even though I'm sure she's in on the mischief/fun too. I took her out to ice cream after soccer practice on Thursday, just the two of us, and I asked her what she thought of this all day kindergarten business. The response cracked me up--"Well, Mom. I've got it all under control, except this Kyra business. I just don't know why she won't listen to me".  Matt took her to the school picnic tonight, as a little date for the two of them. She was dying to go, and was so excited to hear that her dad was going to get home early to do this with her. She got really soft and quiet and said, "That's so so sweet" when I told her. Then she proceeded to lecture Adrienne about why she wouldn't be going, "Adrienne. This is my school picnic, and dad is going to take me. You know, you can't go to everything. Life is hard sometimes and you have to make choices. That's what Mom says to me sometimes. So, you get to stay home tonight, but I'll let you look at my new library book while I'm gone if you want to".



And Adrienne--She is suddenly look very grown up to me. I swear that when kids start preschool something instantly changes in their baby-ness. She looks longer, leaner, and just more confident all around. This kid is so happy. She smiles all the time and is so eager to do anything that Jillian has once done. This includes wearing clothes. I went through the task of pulling out bins of Jillian's clothes for A to move into, and you would think that we just hit Rodeo Drive for some premier shopping. She just gushed and gushed as we folded, sorted, and hung her "new clothes". "Oh Mom thank you thank you thank you! I love all my new clothes!!" Over and over and over. She now wears at least a 4--and is rocking size 5 dresses and shirts--and her new favorite past time is changing clothes 763 times a day and night. I wonder how many more years I have of her being excited for hand me downs? I'd better enjoy it while it lasts. I adore my afternoon time with her. She is so pleasant and sweet and just loves to run errands with me. In regards to school, most every question I ask is met with one of two answers, "Nothing" or "Nobody". What did you learn today? "Nothing". Who did you play with today? "Nobody". The most elaborate answer I get is usually, "I don't know. I guess I'll have to ask Mrs Leif!" Good problem solving at least. I'm surprised I haven't heard her talk about the kids in her class at all. She just mostly says what she does at center time (today, it was yellow playdoh), and that she played outside at recess. The rest will surely come. She says a million funny things right now, but two that stick out in my mind are--when she asked what that building next to the bank was, I told her it was just another hair place (meaning salon). Her response--"Oh is that where people go get more hair?" And the other--she kept coming to me and asking, "Mom will you feel this up?" Yes, you read that right. Then it was, "I'm going to go in the bathroom and feel it up". What? It seems she wanted me to FILL up her Aquadoodle pen with water.  You can't make this stuff up. Some pics....
Enjoying her first ever chocolate shake while sitting with me as I ate my late lunch at Potbelly's last week. Since that time, she's asked me for "that really good cold chocolate milk" many many times.

Ready to go get Jillian. The getups this kid wears are nothing short of spectacular.

Our new favorite hairstyle--"donkey ears". Killing me with cuteness.

Two Jayhawk fans! Adrienne was ready for Dad and Me Sports night at preschool....Jillian was jealous that she was too old for that event, but seemed to appreciate the new Jayhawk shirt to wear to soccer practice.

We met Daddy in the parking lot of Daube's to hand Adrienne off so they could have their special time at Dad and Me night. Gotta hand it to Matt--he is one busy busy guy, but always seems to make it when it counts. 

The craft of Dad and Me night was apparently making a pennant flag. Adrienne had another idea. She is apparently still scarred from a time months ago when Jillian and Will "messed up her room". So, she forced Matt to write "No Messing Up My Room" on this flag and it now hangs on her door. 
The pic of the hot dog line Matt texted me from the school picnic. Big points for you, Dad!

Big beautiful girl on her date with Daddy at the school picnic.
And my final thought for the night--I hate the pick up line at school. I think I'd have to get there 45 minutes early to be near the front. Don't people have anything else to do? Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment