template

Monday, September 8, 2014

Homework

Jillian brought her first-ever homework home tonight. We have weekly homework in kindergarten that is sent home on Mondays, and turned in on Fridays. This homework is comprised of a little task each night, and is in addition to reading for at least 15 minutes (working up to 30) per night. For her first assignment, Jillian was to practice writing her full name at least 3 times, making sure to capitalize only the first letter. She declared this 'boring', but was very serious about it, and did NOT appreciate little sister trying to interfere, make noise, or talk to her during this very serious moment. The other half of the assignment was to practice counting to 20 (to which she rolled her eyes and rattled it off. Twice. The instructions did say to 'practice' after all). And here is where I now thank my parents for all the nights of homework as a kid. Oh good grief. We spent a whopping 25 minutes on this (including the out loud reading practice) and I kind of wanted to poke my eyes out. Here is where I also publicly congratulate all you parents with more than 2 children. Seriously. Kudos to you for all of this. I can see the drama now unfolding over the years... trying to pull teeth to get the homework done, the whining, the tears, the refusals, the stuff I don't know how to do myself, blah blah. All of it. I see it all. And I have two of them. No wonder people feel more busy when their kids get to school. Ah, the adventure is slowly beginning for us.
In other school news, Jillian is just beside herself with glee. She had her first media class (what we used to call 'library' in the olden days) and she declared it "awesome" as she got in the car this afternoon (Yes, Uncle John, everything really IS awesome). She got to check out her first ever school library book and was palpably excited about the grand reveal of her selection. The suspense built for Adrienne and I all the way home. I so wish I could have recorded her joy while simultaneously driving. I just kept glancing up in my rear view mirror to see this rapidly maturing child simply glowing and radiating with excitement about her day. She got to move up to 'rainbow', the highest level of behavior in her class, and she nearly burst out of her carseat as she told me this. So, in short--rainbow level behavior, media, choosing the art center (which she informed me is what she will ALWAYS choose even though all the other girls choose to play with Littlest Pet Shop toys) and a sudden vast knowledge of how we should treat books all happened today. This kid is over the moon for school and it certainly agrees with her. I don't think I've ever seen so visibly happy about something. Let's hope this enthusiasm continues!
Very serious, people. Name writing is very serious. Now if only I could get her to relax that death grip she has on the pencil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment