Make Something Monday (craft)
Try It Tuesday (science experiment)
What's Cookin' Wednesday (kid kitchen activity)
Throwback Thursday (we play a game, read a book, or do something I enjoyed as a kid)
Friday Funday (out for a treat, playdate, new park, or some kind of fieldtrip)
The categories allow for weeks we are really busy with camps (meaning I can tweak it to be really short if needed), and also for weeks we have more time at home (the first make something Monday had the girls engaged in the task for almost 2 hours). So far it is going great. The girls are excited about it everyday and you can bet they won't let me forget! In addition, we are trying out more formal chores with a chore chart (this system still needs a lot of work, but Jillian is especially eager to help) and I picked up a devotional book for 2-5 year olds that we have been reading at breakfast each day. Add in a Bible verse of the week to memorize and I think we have a pretty solid plan. Since I never can find anything I write down on paper I'm going to summarize each week on the blog with my activity lists/reviews and hopefully this will save me a bunch of planning/searching next year. One can hope.
So, the last two weeks went like this:
Week 1:
Make Something Monday--Homemade playdoh. Big hit. Both made their own batches. Used all my cookie cutters and plastic knives and giggle the entire morning away. Always a win.
Try It Tuesday--Ice Experiment; timed how long it took an ice cube to melt in a class (35 min), hypothesized if it would melt faster in hot or cold water, counted how many ice cubes it took to overflow a half glass of water. And then they just played with the ice and wanted to build igloos.
What's Cookin Wednesday--Peanut Butter and Jelly Sushi. HUGE hit. I cut crusts off bread and let them roll the bread flat, spread PB and J, roll up, and then slice. They ate them with chopstick trainers. We now make this all the time.
Throwback Thursday--Played Simon Says.
Friday Funday--It was the Vietnamese Wedding and I thought that was plenty of fun!
Week 2:
Monday--coffee filter art, using folded up coffee filters and paint dabbers. Our back door is now covered in beautiful sun-catcher type designs.
Tuesday--Soap Souffle. Microwaved Ivory soap to watch it grow, then played with the 'souffle'. Big fun, disastrous mess. At least it was a clean mess.
Wednesday--Ants on a log. Jillian loves celery now, so that's a win. Adrienne things 'ants on a log' is peanut butter
Thursday--Read my Velveteen Rabbit book given to me by my kindergarten teacher
Friday--Daddy was off! They had a morning of outdoor play with him.
| Homemade playdoh |
| Ice experiments. This was a good distraction for them while their hair set in rollers for practicing wedding hair. |
| Peanut butter sushi was very exciting! |
![]() |
| Coffee filter art |
![]() |
| Our pretty back door |
![]() |
| Ants on a log post return from the pool on a hot day |



No comments:
Post a Comment