template

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Just Us Girls. Again.

Matt just returned from a 5 day trip to Tucson (that's his second 5 day trip in a month, but who's counting?!?), and it always feels good to have everyone back together again. I am pleased to report that we didn't have any trips to the ER while he was away, or any other major catastrophes. Jillian, however, really, really missed her dad. She always misses him when he travels, but this was different. She just seemed affected by his absence in a very real way. I saw lots of increased emotional outbursts and a different level of sensitivity. She was more scared at night, had some trouble sleeping, and was quick to whine for him whenever I had to discipline her. She is definitely a kid who prefers everything in her world in place as it should be. Despite this, I think we managed to have some fun and make some special memories in his absence. I always try to do things a little differently (in a more spontaneous way) when he's gone. Here are a few pics I snapped of our solo time...many are those I texted to Matt at various moments to keep him up to date while we were apart.


For a split second, I wished we had a dog. "Uh-oh! I dwopped my Alpha Bits" Yes, you did.

Parked at the Farmer's Market. We did this sans wagon or stroller. I bribed them with the promise of doughnuts from the apple orchard vendor. And then they were out. 

So, the compromise was an early lunch at Chipotle. We totally terrorized the other patrons as they waited in line. A of course had to wear J's fire hat (from her fire station fieldtrip on Thursday), and her "amulen" (amulet. yes, it's a toy medal of J's)

We hit Soccer World for a birthday party, and A got to run with the big kids. She finally made it to the top of the bounce house slide.

My biggest monkey

Monkey see, monkey do

Inhaling cake, ice cream, juice. Not touching the fruit...

After some time at the RAC on Sunday, I took them out for ice cream and then we stopped by a park near J's school. "This is the best day of my life, Mom!"

One of our new fascinations: firefly toothbrushes that have a  blinking timer while you brush

After being up with J for over 2 hours the first night, I finally suggested she sleep with one of her daddy's t-shirts. She loved this idea.  And it really did help. She wore it every night thereafter.

Smoothies and suds! The girls always get to bathe in our big master tub while he's gone, and on this day, I added our daily smoothie to the fun.

I planted these iris when we moved in. They didn't bloom at all this spring (did last year). Suddenly, they did this week, and are so unbelievably gorgeous and fragrant. I smile at this because they always make me think of my Grammy (she loved these and had many varieties on the farm), and ironically, she passed away 4 years ago tomorrow.  Maybe she's up in heaven smiling at this, too.

The girls' favorite little gift from Matt's trip--cactus candy (made with prickly pear juice)! A ate hers faster than it took Jillian to get hers out of the package. For real.

No comments:

Post a Comment