template

Monday, August 5, 2013

Just Right

I am sure we are not the only family with small children who looks forward to the weekend, and then struggles with the weekend. It is hard to find that 'just right' mix, where your expectations for productivity are actually aligned with reality, and a balance exists between work and play for all. We nailed it this weekend, and I am feeling so grateful for the experience of a 'just right' weekend--the right combo of alone time, couple time, friend time, family time, productive time, and rest. It must be documented.

I woke up Saturday morning and left the house bright and early by myself. I drove downtown to the Farmer's Market and grabbed a great parking spot before it opened, and took off on a run around the downtown loop. After my run I gathered my produce at my own pace, then hit Starbucks and Target on my way home for solo grocery shopping. I was home by 9:30 so Matt could leave for CrossFit, and he and the girls had been outside "working" around the playset in the dirt. They were all dirty, but happy. I was in a glorious mood after my perfect start to the day, and was feeling giddy after unloading the beautiful rainbow of produce I had purchased.


The girls and I picked up the house, shucked corn, watered plants, and made lunch while Matt was gone, then we all ate together before resting. After rest, the girls seemed content to play in the house (very rare), and they played so well together in the playroom for nearly 2 hours while we worked to change light fixtures and hang photos on our designated gallery wall in the basement. It was a project that always felt impossible to do when the girls were awake, yet we always felt too tired after bedtime to tackle it. We felt accomplished. Matt played Candyland and cards with the girls while I cooked, and they were tired enough that we had  no complaints at dinner and easy bedtime routines. Matt and I watched a documentary and actually went to bed early.

Sunday morning we hosted the Tauntons for brunch. We had mimosas and chatted while the kids played like angels, stuffed ourselves with french toast and egg casserole, and then watched the kids play outside while the guys played with power tools and hung Matt's hard core pull up bar in the garage. They left around noon and we all went in to grab a mid-day rest, and then Matt and I headed out for a fun afternoon/evening date around 2 when the sitter arrived. I beat him badly on the tennis court at the RAC, then we cleaned up and enjoyed happy hour on the patio of the Tap House, dinner outdoors at Chester's, and a stroll through Barnes and Noble for new books. Perfection.




1 comment:

  1. you nailed it! wow - you put into words what i have such a hard time realizing. how i yearn for the weekend and then am frustrated when we dont find the right "mix". what a great weekend! love the early morning start you had - would be perfect for me as well. oh and matt is doing crossfit? crazy addicting! i can't start or it would rule my life...ha!

    ReplyDelete