Jillian and I embarked on our annual back-to-school shopping trip on Sunday. We left the house around 9 and returned about 3:30. Seriously. That is a big shopping day for a little lady! We hit Kohl's, a quick diversionary stop at Trader Joe's, lunch at Culver's (her choice), spent 90 minutes in Stride Rite for 2 pairs of shoes (wanted to poke my eyes out), and then 2 hours at the mall. Jillian is between sizes (and the size depends on the store), so it was the first time we had to do the whole dressing room deal. She thought this was fantastic, but had a bit of trouble understanding that we don't buy every single item we try on. As one would expect, her preferences are strong and clear, and they don't always align with mine. I practiced lots of deep breathing and did my best to give her some freedom (within reason). Outside of her desire to wear as much bling, sparkle, loud pattern as I will allow, she also refuses shirts with buttons and/or collars and nixes denim or pants with buttons. The neon trend delights her, and I'd liken her individual style to punk rock meets disco queen. I suppose I still have a bit of "control" as long as I hold the plastic to pay, but she can now outsmart my little fib about "I don't think they have your size" because she knows numbers and the size she wears. Game over, Mom, pick your battles.
 |
| Lunch time indulgence |
 |
| The diva and her shoes..."I like them ALL, Mom!" |
 |
| Modeling a new "exercise" outfit before heading into gymnastics camp on Monday |
 |
| The cringe-worthy (in my opinion) purchases. She could have won an Academy Award for her performance as she made her plea for this bird-covered skirt with the most awful textured fabric. And the loud look-at-me shoes....what you can't see are the lights that sparkle when she walks. Thanks a bunch, Stride Rite. |
I love the shoes! I believe you have no room for talking when it comes to trying on stuff...I do remember a shopping trip not long ago with you that took forever and made me want to poke my eyes out;)!
ReplyDelete