template

Monday, November 19, 2012

Timing

Sometimes things just work themselves out. I have been worrying/stewing/fretting over how in the world I was going to meet my new nephew within a reasonable time frame for the last several months. I really wanted to make a solo trip to help Megan after the new baby arrived, but because of distance (450 miles, and not easy to fly because of airport locations that require additional driving), other travel plans, and Matt's full schedule I was just not sure how we would swing it. My best shot looked to be early January, but unpredictable winter weather in these parts hadn't left me feeling super confident that I'd be able to make the drive in Matt's ridiculously old car (he'd need my car with the car seats here), or that any flights I booked would be timely. So....enter Bryce Matthew Widmer on November 15th, 10 days early. Another beautiful boy for Meg and D.
I can't describe how sad I felt while Megan was in labor, and though I felt happy he arrived safely, the bummer of the distance situation really had me down. I understand the emotions of having a baby, and how wonderful yet overwhelming the second baby feels. I really just wanted to be there for my sister.
Friday morning I was up early to get a prescription filled for Jillian (who received a strep throat diagnosis late the night before), and Matt happened to be off thanks to working a double shift on Thursday. When I got home from the pharmacy, Matt said "Why don't you just go down there. The weather is beautiful and I am here until Monday morning. I am perfectly capable of taking care of our kids". Now, if you know me you know that I am not spontaneous. At all. I would never just up and leave quickly without weeks of planning, stressing, organizing, and I would certainly never leave my sick child behind (even with her very capable physician of a father). But I did. This time, I just felt prompted to accept the offer. I called my mom and told her I'd pick her up in Des Moines on my way, alerted Deron, and instructed everyone to keep my plans a secret from Megan. In under an hour, I was packed and on my way--headed off on my very first solo trip since becoming a mother. (Seriously, this was HUGE for me)
The plan went off without a hitch, and I had my nephew in my arms less than 24 hours after he was born. A happy auntie, for sure!
I will never forget the look on Megan's face when I walked into the hospital room with my mom. She clearly was stunned, and it took a bit for my arrival to sink in.

The weekend was fast. I did my best to snuggle the baby as much as possible, play with Jack (who clearly was befuddled by a woman resembling his mom in his house), and offer emotional support to the new mom and dad. I know I wasn't as much of a help as I would have liked to be (and I really wasn't needed with 2 capable grandmas around), but perhaps I can return another time.
A bonus of the trip is that I got to spend part of Saturday morning with the Devines, just like old times, and even got a couple slices of Shakespeare's pizza (thanks, Pat, for making that happen!). When I first met this family, there were only 3 children, and the oldest was about 6. Now there are 5 of them...and that 6 year old is almost 17. Oh my. I love me some Devines!

The trip did bring with it one surprise--I wasn't prepared for how anxious I would feel while being away from my family. Though Matt and I have gone away a few times, I've never left him home with the kids. It was very strange to be far away from my three favorite people, and to be the only one not there with them. Matt facetimed me on Saturday night and I couldn't hold the tears back as I watched the girls chat with me. Adrienne kept saying "Mommy! Wuv you! MMMMuah" while blowing kisses, and Jillian just looked so big. Absence certainly did make me appreciate the blessings I often take for granted.

I loaded up for the long drive home early Sunday morning, but not before assisting with Bryce's first home bath and seeing his eyes open (finally).
Seriously, can you stand this???!!

Whatcha lookin' at, Willis?
I really am thankful for this most perfect timing, and am so glad I took the opportunity to go. I just wish it could happen more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment