template

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Passing Time

This was a long weekend, both in the literal and figurative sense. It was MEA, which is the name given to the long weekend every October where schools shut down for a fall break in MN. So, Jillian didn't have school on Thursday and we didn't have our usual Friday morning routine with Bible study. The lack of routine or any sort of plan sets off a bit of a panic deep within me, mostly because Jillian really needs a plan. Thursday was covered with a dermatology appointment for me and some RAC time for the girls, but Friday was surely going to be a long day. I saved up a big Target run and planned to do that in the morning, and maybe some Halloween crafts in the afternoon. Those loose plans were thwarted by my 4 a.m. wake up on Friday--"Mom, I puked in my bed". Yes, she had. I'll spare you the details, but it was just not a pleasant clean-up. After a bath I made her a bed on our floor so I could hear her and help if she kept vomiting. About the time I started to fall back asleep (5 ish), Matt's alarm went off. Good morning....
You might be thinking that the tough task of the day would be to keep Jillian occupied while down, but she was happy with a lot of TV and quiet rest. Adrienne was my challenge. It's not easy to keep a very busy toddler away from her barfing sister. Adrienne loves Jillian, wants to play with her, engage her, and be all up in her business at all times. She also decided this would be the day to master climbing on the couches and dining room chairs. Excellent. I was so ready for my reinforcement to arrive home at the end of the day (read Matt), but I was in for an unpleasant surprise--he wasn't feeling well, either. He declared himself out of commission, and has spent the entire weekend in that form. Luckily, Jillian recovered quickly, but a lingering fever kept her from attending a much-anticipated birthday party Saturday morning. So--this weekend has been one of passing time...keeping busy kids occupied and away from their sick dad, disinfecting every surface I can find, and trying to remain optimistic about the health of Adrienne and I. My stomach is churning and my fingers are crossed. Despite this whiny-toned post, I have evidence of sweet moments of togetherness littered throughout a personally challenging weekend (I admit it has been hard to keep a good attitude). Here is what the girls and I did to pass the time.
Jillian and I painted pumpkins. Can you guess which two she did?

Long baths due to a tired mom deciding the bedtime routine should begin extra early. You can't see it well in the picture, but Adrienne was splashing water all over Jillian.

Adrienne enjoyed the discovery of an old pair of sunglasses. They were a favorite toy all weekend long.

Jillian and I made some playdoh. She chose to color it green, and we used the Halloween cookie cutters to make "cookies". This was Adrienne's first time with playdoh. She was confused, I think, and refused to touch it with her hands (in protest to show me she was NOT going to eat anything green). I finally got her to smash some with a measuring spoon. For about as long as it took to take this picture.
Now for a couple video clips--

1. The girls also came up with a new game, that they both found hilarious: Adrienne "pushes" Jillian in the doll stroller. I knew the stroller would break  at some point (and it did), but couldn't bring myself to break up this cooperative fun.

2. Since it was so warm this afternoon (almost 70!), I forced the girls out of the house and we took a little walk around the neighborhood. The neighbor kids at the end of the street came up to show us their new puppy and ended up playing on the swingset with Jillian for awhile. Jillian then asked one of the boys (age 8) if he wanted to play "floot-ball". I was touched by his sweetness to oblige her, and then patiently play a version of catch with her. I had a good laugh, and admit I enjoyed seeing Jillian remain confident in her "floot-ball" abilities despite her clear need for some training.


We had pancakes for dinner 3 straight nights and spent the last 2 days in our pajamas. This weekend may have been a bummer overall, but it is an issue that is small in size. Our blessings are so, so big. Now if you'll excuse me, I must get back to my Clorox wipes....

No comments:

Post a Comment