template

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Over Pancakes

We had pancakes for dinner tonight. I wasn't feeling great today, and was totally uninspired to make dinner. Matt was happy with the leftovers I didn't want to eat again, so I made the girls and I pancakes. I seriously had a thought while eating that I just haven't had much to write about on the blog lately, and was trying to think through the past few days and come up with some material to record. Jillian must have sensed my struggle, because with her usual interesting timing, she blurted out: "Are we going to die?"
Matt and I exchanged blank stares. He remained silent, and so, with that glance I knew he was waiting for ME to answer her. So I tried..."Well, Jillian, everybody dies someday"
J: "But I don't want to die! I'm not going to die."
Me: (sweating) "Well, we all hope it won't be for a very long time."
There was a lengthy pause, which made me think that I might have gotten off the hook for a split second. But, no.
J: "Mom, if you and Daddy die there won't be anyone to take care of us".
Me: (crying inside) "Mommy and Daddy will never let you be alone. If something ever happens to us before you and Adrienne are grown up, you will have someone to take care of you. I promise."
J: "Who?"
Me: "Aunt Meggie and Uncle D"
J: "Oh, OK. Can I have some more pancakes?"

1 comment: