template

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Backyardigans in 'da House

After Adrienne's birthday, Jillian naturally began discussing her birthday. She informed me that she wanted a Backyardigans party (Backyardigans some cute little animal characters from her favorite show), and she wanted the party at our house. She never once wavered on those requests in the last few months. So--as it got closer to the time of her birthday, I had a frank discussion with her. I told her that if she chose to have a party at our house, that she could only invite a couple of friends over. If, however, she decided to have the party at the RAC or Bounce World or some such venue, we'd let her invite all her friends. To be truthful, this was my condition--we have done the huge party at home deal and it is just too stressful/chaotic. I have learned a few things in the last few years and know that I am not a super nice person as I prep for a gathering, simply because I am a perfectionist and detail oriented. Additionally, I don't think that 4 is old enough for a drop-off party, so I want parents present and responsible for their kids. So there you have it. Jillian had a choice, and she totally surprised me by declaring that a small Backyardigans party at home was what she wanted over a big party elsewhere. I guess it should NOT surprise me that she stuck to her guns, however!
So, we set about the planning for the small celebration. Jillian was allowed to invite 4 friends over (with their families) for pizza and cake on Saturday evening. She chose Ella, Max, and Will and Rachel (brother/sister) and was so excited to learn that everyone would be able to attend.We had a fun, casual evening with friends (and Grammy and Grandad), with minimal clean up, zero catastrophes, well-behaved kids, and most importantly--a happy, satisfied birthday girl!

Party favor boxes for the kids/siblings

Jillian requested a pinata. Luckily, we found one of Pablo the penguin at Party City. I love how Adrienne is trying to sneak in the action.

Thank goodness for pinatas that do not require a bat! The kids just had to pull strings until Pablo let the candy fall.

Collecting the loot

Silly Daddy, Pablo isn't a hat! (This really freaked A out)
The cake. Jillian wanted the yard the Backyardigans play in with the characters on top. After the first cake I made fell apart (you can imagine my joy),  I called Hy-Vee, ordered a plain white cake, and then did the decorating myself. Jillian told me it was "amazing".

Excitedly waiting to be sung to

It's time!

Loved every second of the song--she clearly does not mind being the center of attention.

While Jillian was thrilled to see she actually blew out all 4 candles, my expression shows that the feat was not accomplished without a fair amount of spit.

Family photo op--crazy how both girls have their index finger in their mouths!

A rare vision: could she really be tired???

Checking out the favor boxes with Ella.

A and Daddy grab some snuggles
Present time! She was overjoyed that Aunt Meggie and Uncle D sent her a dream light. "This is what I really wanted!!!"

Ella asked to stay and watch J open her presents.

The big 4 year old gets her wish: Gumballs! (see my birthday letter in previous post for the back story)

Ella and Jillian--BFFs!

These girls are such sweet friends. They get to spend a lot of time together at school, Bible study, church, and the RAC.  It's so cute to see their friendship develop.



No comments:

Post a Comment