template

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Lately

I've been a bit disconnected from the blog in recent weeks. We've been enjoying summer, a first birthday, and hosting company. I'm going to attempt to catch up in this post by providing a rundown of what we've been up to lately.

Jillian and I have been enjoying "special time" at the RAC outdoor pool about once a week. We check A into the Kids Club and head outside for a swim and a treat. She tried her first Bomb Pop last week, which seems like a rite of passage.

These two are really into "playing" with each other. It doesn't last long, but it is cute when it happens. A little monkey-see, monkey-do with some buckets was the game of the minute on Friday.

Testing the limits of space and motor ability
 The garden is going great guns. I am almost giddy, and look forward to heading out to check the progress with Matt each night after the girls are in bed.
My fairytale eggplant plant is dripping with these lovely miniature eggplant. I am in love with their adorableness. Almost too cute to eat. Almost.

Finally! Our first tomatoes were ripe tonight. We've got about a hundred green ones still holding out on me. I hope they don't all turn at once.

I am over zucchini. I have roasted it, sauteed it, fried it, baked with it, and grilled it. It is still coming. We picked our first two cucs and two measly beans on Thursday.

Jillian is enjoying Kingdom Kids camp at her preschool two mornings/week. She made a cowboy hat last week during craft time, and I caught her jumping on her bed in her skivvies before bath one night shouting, "Howdy Partner!".  Have I mentioned I am nervous about her teen years??    


We enjoyed a Fourth of July lunch at the Taunton's. It's so nice to have good friends who are also without family to spend holidays with. Jillian proudly displayed her patriotic wear

And Adrienne looked ridiculously adorable in hers. I was happy she fit in Jillian's first fourth of July dress!
Adrienne is trying lots of new foods. I am excited about the fact that she is crazy about pasta with pesto. My basil is also out of control, so pesto is on the menu regularly these days.

It's rare to say that we would choose to stay indoors in the summer in MN--but it really has been hot, so we've had to get creative at times. I made Jillian's day when I decided we were going to have a "race" to see who could blow the cotton balls across the floor the fastest using a straw. I still am an OT, after all.

Adrienne's birthday present finally arrived, and she is pretty proud of her new personalized big girl chair. She spends lots of time climbing in and out of it, and loves to read books. She is currently obsessed with three of them--Barnyard Dance, Goodnight Moon, and Dimity Duck (in that order)

Thanks to Shannon's advice, we are learning to care for Jillian's curly hair so that we can spend fewer painful moments trying to style it in the morning. Conditioner and finger styling have replaced detangling spray and a comb. Much, much better.

Adrienne can often be found pushing her stroller around (usually empty, but in this case, the doll actually got a ride)
I brushed off my cake decorating tips and decided to decorate A's smash cake. It was my first time decorating anything in almost 2 years, and I think it turned out pretty well. I forgot how fun it could be--and I'm already looking forward to tackling a cake for Jillian's birthday.

Reading bedtime stories from Jillian's children's Bible. I love this picture because you can see how concerned she is about "Go-ly-et (Goliath) and what a mean "monster" he was. She was relieved to learn about David's victory.

I spent a recent Saturday shopping in Minneapolis with a great friend. We left the kids at home with the dads early in the morning and didn't come home until after a leisurely dinner. It was bliss. I find it amusing (and sweet) that the dads spent most of the day together, too--they met at Oxbow, went out to lunch, and then reconvened after rest time for a dinnertime BBQ. They quickly figured out how us moms make it through the day--with the help and support of friends.
 We've spent many evenings outside on our deck. We finally bought some patio furniture, and it is so nice to have a place to sit and admire mother nature's handiwork
We are west-facing so shades are required. Thanks to J's friend, Malea, Matt found some fun ones to wear after A's party
I love this cool sunset--you can see beams of light fanning out above the clouds. Have I mentioned I really like living in the country?!?
Evidence of the busy summer. Jillian is zonked at night. She continues to fall out of her bed, and often stays put for hours (or until I go up to adjust the thermostat and discover her).  I never cease to be amused by this sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment