template

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Milk Source

Jillian had an impromptu lesson on the source of milk this afternoon. She was enjoying her snack of a cereal bar and milk when she suddenly asked, "Mom, is your milk white?" I confirmed her inquiry, and told her that a mom's milk is white. Her question caught me off guard and made me realize that she probably didn't know where the milk we buy at the store comes from. So I told her. "Jillian, did you know that the milk you drink comes from a cow?" I wish I had thought to record this moment because the look on her face as she processed this was priceless. Then she simply burst into a fit of giggles, "What? A cow?" (more laughing) "Does a cow have boobies? I confirmed: "Yes, they are called udders" I told her they were lower on a cow's stomach than on a mom, and suggested she go find her small toy cow (a recent purchase at Fleet Farm) so I could show her. She retrieved the cow, which unfortunately did not help us out...seems it is void of any sort of gender identification. I pointed to the general area where udders are found and she blurted out, "You mean the milk comes from its bottom? Eww!!"
I must have finally effectively cleared up any confusion because she went right back to drinking her milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment