I spend a lot of time thinking about how big Adrienne is getting, because the rate of growth and change in the first year is so rapid. This week, however, I suddenly became aware of just how big Jillian is getting. It started as I was giving her a bath one night (a task usually reserved for Matt, but by request, I did the duty that night). When I asked her to lay down so I could rinse her hair, I noticed that she literally is nearly as long as the tub! I know the kid is tall, but at that moment, I was struck by just how tall. I felt a bit emotional thinking that it really was just yesterday when I was bathing her chubby little baby-self in the sink.
The next morning, she came downstairs in a rush of excitement to show me that she had picked out her clothes and completely dressed herself. This was a first of epic proportions--it is usually such a battle to get her dressed. I was so proud of her, and reveled in the fun of celebrating little moments that are such big accomplishments to a kid. That was always what I loved best about working as a peds OT. I did not have the heart to tell her that she had put her shirt on inside out (my fault for putting it in her drawer that way--one of my sloppy secrets is that I do not usually correct an inside out garment when folding and putting away. I am such a rebel!) and backwards.
Jillian definitely understands the concept of matching, so I was not surprised that she did that independently. After the excitement died down, I quietly led her to discover the tag on the front of her shirt, and she knew she needed to turn it around. Since that morning we have laid out her outfit each night before bed and she now proudly descends the stairs fully dressed the next day. Why didn't I think to do this before?!?!
In other growing-up-too-fast news, she has started clearing the table each night after dinner. She beams as she carries each dish, glass, condiment, etc over to me at the sink one at a time. It takes forever, but keeps her occupied during that often chaotic time. I wonder how long it will take for her to stop answering, "Sure, Mom" when I request her help?? I will just enjoy it while I can.
I also so enjoyed her pride of independence in the grocery store last week. I must admit I dread the times I can oblige her request to push a kids cart through the store, mostly because it requires so much effort on my part to keep her from crashing into everything and everyone, and I still have to maneuver Adrienne in the stroller. We made it through without any major catastrophes and then Jillian promptly started unloading the cart herself, chatting away with the checker as she did so. If she was tall enough to reach the keypad, she probably could have completed the debit card transaction to pay!
Probably my favorite aspect of this sudden realization of big-girlness is listening to her spontaneously profess her affections for those she loves. Sometimes she just looks at me and says, "Mom, I love you" or "Mom, I want to be just like you". She also pays compliments frequently and it is cute to watch her wheels turn as she thinks of what she wants to say..."Mom, I love your...ummm, your...shirt", or "Nice pants, Dad". Other times I hear, "Mom, I miss my Grammy" or "I sure love my sister". Those moments almost make me forget the times I hear, "You are a mean mommy". Almost.
We had her school conference last week and the first line of the teacher's report read: "Jillian is very articulate". That sums Jillian up in one accurate word. The kid truly can communicate her needs, feelings, likes/dislikes, and emotions so well that it is hard for me to remember that she is only 3. But--sometimes "only 3" just seems so big.......
I sure do love you, Jilly Bean.
No comments:
Post a Comment