Jillian has all the answers these days, and typically answers her own questions. She re-asks most any question many times, and just waits for you to change your original answer in the slightest so that she can then correct you. It is of no use for me to try and correct any incorrect assumptions, so mostly I just go along with her assertions. A good friend of mine recently sent me an article about raising strong willed children and one of its many valid points was "you don't have to attend every argument your child invites you to". I am doing my best to decline unnecessary invitations. In that light, Jillian went to school with her shoes on the wrong feet last week (and they were still on incorrectly when I picked her up), and frequently can be found wearing summer clothing (while complaining she is cold) around the house. Her hair is usually undone, and outfits are unmatched (from my point of view). As best I have always tried to offer choices, sometimes it is painfully clear just how natural it is for me to assert control over everything. It is subconscious for this type A personality of mine. I am trying to lighten up and let her explore her desires so long as they do not cause her to hurt herself or someone else (i.e. we had to put a stop to her attempt to enlist Adrienne in the dance party she was having with Matt last week, as she picked her up around her middle and promptly flipped her over and dropped her on her face. Thankfully, though quite sensitive, Adrienne is pretty robust!)
Anyhow, the point of this post is really to share a sampling of what I've heard come out of Jillian's mouth in the last few days. Sometimes I get a little off-topic as I process my experiences as a mom...I cannot keep up with this kid.
-I am already receiving fashion advice from her, and got an unsolicited opinion when I walked into the kitchen last week: "Mom, your slippers do not match those pajamas". I wasn't aware they were supposed to...
-"Here Mom, I drew you a picture of a Little By Pony". Me: "Oh, you mean a My Little Pony?" J: "No, Mom, that's not right. It is called a Little By Pony!"
-J: "Mom, what's a weddin'?"
Me: "It's when two people get married"
J: "Oh, well I'm too short to get married".
Her dad hopes she uses that line of reasoning for at least the next 25 years.
Me: "What was your Bible story about today?"
J: (in an exasperated tone) "Oh, it was about blind again"
Me: "Huh? You mean someone who was blind? Who was blind?"
J: "It's a real tricky name, Mom".
Later I looked up the info on her newsletter and saw that the story was about Bartimaeus, the blind man Jesus healed...a tricky name, indeed!
Lastly, my favorite phrase of late is one Jillian uses when she is done doing something or doesn't like it--"Mom, I'm real tired about that". Add in her now ever-present hand gestures, and you have a recipe for a three year old who acts and talks like a teenager. I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry.
Oh, and did I mention she can also belt out pop music? Here is her cover of Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain", sung casually and spontaneously while coloring after dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment