template

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Well-Child Checks

I managed to schedule Jillian's 3 year check-up and Adrienne's 4 month check at the same time. I'm still not sure if that was idiotic or brilliant--on one hand it was great to get them out of the way at the same time, and on the other, it was pretty chaotic! We survived, and I am happy to report that both got the healthy stamp of approval from our beloved pediatrician. Here's the scoop.....

Adrienne tipped the scales at 13 lbs 13 oz (48%) and measured 25 1/2 inches (85%) long. Her head circumference is in the 72nd percentile. She was happy as a clam during the exam, and Dr V commented on her strength, activity level (she was kicking her arms and legs in her usual excited manner), and engaging personality. We chatted about her reflux, and though her weight went from the 76% to the 48% in the last two months, she is still on track for healthy growth, so it is not causing any difficulty (other than lots of mess!). She will continue on the Zantac, but can finally discontinue the nystatin as we got the all-clear in the thrush department. Her attitude soured quickly after her vaccines (DTap and Hib/Polio combo, following administration of the oral rotovirus vaccine), but she settled quickly and took a nice nap immediately following the appointment.

Jillian  now weighs 32.56 lbs (69%) and is 38.5 inches tall (83%). Her blood pressure was 86/54. This was the first time she's had her bp taken, and it took a bit of convincing to get her permission to do so. She was reticent about the exam overall, but cooperated after some coaxing and watching Adrienne's exam. I expected that she would be excited to show Adrienne how to be a big girl during the process, but she quickly decided that Adrienne needed to go first when offered the choice. She was very excited that she didn't require any shots this visit, and was quick to comfort Adrienne during hers. She had a bit of band-aid envy when she saw the ones A got post-shots, so I had to promise that my band-aid obsessed child could pick out a new box on our next Target trip. Dr. V gave J a book and a sticker for her good behavior. It's hard for me to believe that she won't require another well-child exam until just before Kindergarten!

1 comment:

  1. As an RN at a pediatrician's office, I will be completely honest and tell you how much I dislike "double" well visit appointments! = ) It is extremely CHAOTIC! But, I would take a "double" well visit appointment any day with my sweet nieces!!!

    ReplyDelete