Here we go, summer. A recap of how we spent week 1.
Jillian enjoyed mornings at Quarry Hill camp. This is always a highlight of the summer, and the bonus is that she got to do the camp with Will. This was a bonus for me, too, since I got to have a guaranteed face to face convo 2 x per day with my BFF at drop off and pick up. Adrienne happily accompanied me to the RAC most mornings, and then we managed to find ways to fill each afternoon. ...
On Monday, we hit the library to stock up. It's interesting to see what the girls pick. Adrienne chose a book on soapmaking, for one. I think she just liked the cover.
On Tuesday, we met Charie and her girls, Emmy and Malea, for lunch at the RAC and then we hit the pool on the first blissfully 90+ hot day since 2013...along with everybody else. Yikes.

-On Wednesday, we hit Pi pizza with the Tauntons post quarry hill, then to Target to pick up some bins for our organizational activity. I decided to try the concept of a wardrobe capsule (google that for info) with the girls. I was surprised at how easy this was for them. I laid everything out on their beds as we went through each category (dresses, pants, shorts, etc) and let them select a certain number of items for each. The rest got put away for another time. If they decide they want something they put in the box, they have to trade it in to me for something else. I worried that Jillian (my indecisive child) would have trouble with this, but she really got into it and made decisions easily. I also boxed up winter clothes, even though their closets are big enough to house them, and this has been a game changer. My laundry workload is reduced by I'd say 4-6 loads per week because they just don't have access to so many clothes. If only I could do this with my own closet...
 |
|
Thursday afternoon we hosted the Tauntons for lunch and a movie on a rainy afternoon. Then I hauled the girls with me to the dentist so I could get my night guard adjusted (glamorous, eh?)
On Friday, we hung out at home doing some weekend food prep in the afternoon, then enjoyed our freshly painted deck while Matt grilled. He let the girls choose CD's to put through the outdoor speakers, and we danced the night away to The Little Mermaid.
Matt had to work all weekend (6-3ish each day), so the girls and I filled our time. We woke on Saturday to rain, which delayed our Farmer's Market trip. So I tried out some awesome strawberry pancakes. Turns out A isn't a fan of strawberries when they are cooked, so she had big crocodile tears when I told her that all the pancakes contained these treacherous cooked berries. Life is hard.
The rain let up about 11, so we high tailed it to the market to stock up on veggies and hit the annual craft and health fair as well. I got the girls some lunch of wood fired pizza and they sat and ate it under drizzly skies.
On Sunday we were solo again, so we went to a graduation party (Bailey is the daughter of Matt's colleague and we have a friendship with Mark and Shirlyn--our game playing buddies). I was a bit nervous about this, but upon arrival we found they had a waffle making station (complete with chocolate chips and whipped cream!), so the girls were happy as could be. We ate and chatted a bit and then ran off to Target and Sargent's for groceries and more perennials to plant before we made too much of a scene.
The girls are working on understanding how money works, and spending their own at the store. They bought what seems to be the girl version of army guys in the $1 bin at Target--these plastic figures of fairies and princesses are now quite beloved in our home.
No comments:
Post a Comment