Miss Jillian had her last day of kindergarten today! This year went at lightning speed for me. Seriously, didn't I just take this picture on the first day?
And here she was this morning, giving the thumbs up for rockin' kindergarten like a boss.
Poor Adrienne asked to take a picture with Jillian, and then we forgot, so she had a little sad meltdown. I had to coax Jillian to get back in place for a picture with her sister. This one says it all...
I wasn't expecting the emotions I experienced at the end of the day. My first wave of tears came when she hopped in the car wearing her little hat...."I've Finished K, On My Way to 1st Grade!"
And then, as we approached the corner by the school (after waiting in that dang pick up line for one last time this year--I feel like I should win an award for not yelling at anyone for poor pick up line behavior this year. I really restrained myself!), I kept hearing honking and clapping and cheering. I wasn't sure what in the world was going on, but then I saw that all the teachers were on the corner, waving and cheering to all kids/cars/buses that went by. I just thought it was really neat, and it made me cry AGAIN.
Jillian's teacher, Mrs Dyer (on left) was there, and the class para Miss Joanna (on R), too.
Jillian asked me why in the world I was crying. And so I explained to her that I was just feeling grateful. Grateful that she had such a fabulous first year of "real" school, where she enjoyed her teacher (and her teacher enjoyed her), developed a passion for reading, made friends, navigated her first experience with 'mean girl' stuff, validated our thoughts on her intellect by doing amazing on her first standardized tests...and having fun the whole time, wearing a smile on her face. I also explained to her that I was feeling grateful that we live in such a nice place, with nice schools, involved/committed parents, and great teachers. Not everyone can say that. We have much to celebrate and be thankful for!
This year has seemed to go so fast. What a big girl....off to the first grade!
ReplyDelete