template

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

There's A Story Here

I took a few pictures of the girls just after story time as they were headed to bed tonight. This was because they were excited about these new Costco jammies (really Costco, thanks for making princess costumes in pajama form for ten bucks!).











Now when I look at these pictures, however, I have a sweet memory to reflect on and take comfort in. You see, sibling spats abound these days, and our evenings have not been so pleasant. But sometimes the heart reveals itself when given the chance, and Jillian revealed hers tonight. True to form, Adrienne "had snakes" after I put her to bed. She came downstairs to go (because, yes, their bathroom is still locked and off limits post tuck-in), and when I went to wipe her I discovered that the beloved Elsa pajamas had gotten a bit of poo on them in the cross fires. I informed my princess that she was slightly soiled and would have to find herself a different pair of pajamas to wear on this night. There were tears. Oh, there were big crocodile tears and heavy sobs. I empathized with her and did my best to help her calm down and then sent her little naked self upstairs to get dressed and to bed. About 10 minutes later, I heard the pitter patter of more little feet coming down the stairs. I silently prepared myself for another battle, feeling angry that someone needed something else. AGAIN. Long after bedtime was supposed to be done. Jillian appeared in my room, and began to speak before I could reprimand her--"Mom, I need to tell you something really important right now. Adrienne was so sad about her nightgown getting dirty, that I just wanted to let her wear mine. I tried it on her and it fit perfectly, so I let her wear it and I changed into a regular nightgown. Tomorrow is another chance. Will you wash the nightgowns so we can both wear them tomorrow?" Absolutely. I absolutely will.

4 comments: