template
Monday, January 31, 2011
Trip to Triage
What pregnancy is complete without a trip to OB triage? It's funny, because just last week I was thinking to myself, "Wow, you are doing really good. No crazy trips to triage!". I had already been a couple of times at this point with Jillian. Guess I congratulated myself too soon, because I ended up spending a long four hours there late last night. It all began in church yesterday, when as I was sitting quietly, started to notice some contraction-like feelings. Not painful, but not comfortable, and my back was hurting. I shook it off and thought I'd feel better after lunch, lots of water, and a long nap. No such luck. This of course happened to be the day Matt was moonlighting about an hour away, so I just tried to go about my day with Jillian and not read too much into it. I really started to wonder if it was just normal to get them in subsequent pregnancies, but I couldn't remember ever noticing them this early with Jillian. The day went on, and they just continued. Matt came home just as I put Jillian to bed and scolded me for not calling the nurse about my little pains. So I did, and of course, that call bought me a trip to triage. I headed in about 8 and was there until nearly midnight for the full work up. I got two different types of ultrasounds (one to check baby, one to check/measure thickness and length of cervix), the most painful, horrible speculum exam of my life, and the ever-tortuous cath to obtain the cleanest possible urine sample to check for any urinary infections. Four hours of poking, prodding, and waiting. Thankfully, all was well. Baby looks good, no infections, and my cervix is long and closed as it should be. I was sent home to try and rest (I just find it hilarious that this is even suggested to the mother of a 2 year old!), and drink lots of water, and was instructed to call the clinic today if they were still happening. I called this morning because I was still experiencing the same feelings. The nurse both reassured me and scared me at the same time. She reassured me in that she told me that your uterus is more irritable in subsequent pregnancies, making you more susceptible to earlier contractions and back pain. She scared me in that she scolded me for continuing to do laundry, make meals, and care for my two year old when I was supposed to be resting (ummm, who does she propose takes care of all of that??) and said that if I overdo it I could go into pre-term labor. I'm not really interested in that. Matt told me that is bogus, but that I do need to be more mindful of sitting and resting when I can. He also gently reminded me that it is fine with him if we just order pizza for dinner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment