Matt surprised me the week of Valentine's Day by telling me he had arranged for us to go to Paris in June! He had a conference he could present at, and had already taken the week off, and asked his mom and Bryan to keep the girls. I was elated! I have always wanted to go to Paris (and had never been to Europe at all), and I spent the better part of 4 months researching, obsessing over details, and talking to friends who had been. Finally, on June 15th, we were off!
After an uneventful 7.5 hour flight (with a teeny bit of sleep, thanks to some Xanax for this anxious traveler), we landed in Paris, took a cab to our hotel to drop off our luggage, and hit the first cafe we spotted for a traditional French breakfast--croissant, coffee, and fresh-squeezed juice.
We had a solid 5 hours to kill until our room was ready, so we just walked and explored central Paris. A stop in the Tuileries Garden to admire the foliage and consult Rick Steves' about where to grab lunch on the Champs-Elysees.
Random street art. 1978 was a great vintage!
We walked a solid 10 miles before it was time to get into our room. I giggled at our room number--40--since part of the reason we decided to do this trip was in honor of our 40th birthdays. I was honestly stressed about choosing a hotel, and really wanted to stay in a tiny boutique hotel for the full experience. I researched for days and hours on end. I was pleased as punch to open the door and discover the Hotel Victoire et Germain to be darling in design and completely spotless. Total perfection in my book.
We grabbed a shower and a 2 hour nap, then hit the streets around Saint Germain des Pres to explore before our 9:30 dinner reservation at Les Christine (recommended by our hotelier and it did not disappoint)
Board game store in central Paris
Grabbed a quick coffee and eclair
A stop in Luxembourg Gardens for a glass of rose and little people watching.
Finally, dinner. Kir royale to start, great chablis, caviar, sea bream, choux pastry with chocolate ice cream...excellent first dinner.
Loved the cute big fork on the front of the restaurant
Some nice couple leaving the restaurant offered to take our picture as we were walking in.
Great first day!
No comments:
Post a Comment