template

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

O Christmas Tree

So we got a real tree this year. And it's a big one. After trashing our old artificial tree last year, I had a hard time biting the bullet to buy the grand artificial tree I've been dreaming of for our high ceilings. I figured this would be the perfect year to introduce the girls to the fine art of cutting down a real tree. They were SO excited to set out on this little adventure.

After examining nearly every largish tree, we finally settled on ours. There she be.

Obligatory pose next to Dad who is somewhere under there with the saw.

We let each girl have her hand at a few cuts, since we are super responsible and handed our crazy ladies a sharp tool.



I wish I had recorded the "Timber!" moment. The joy the girls exuded was palpable.

We had our work cut out for us as we tried to drag it back to the barn. We of course chose the tree that was the farthest away from the building. I eventually had to go find reinforcements.

Super excited to get our tree wrapped up and home.


They had to hoist it up on a pulley since it was too big to put in the shaker.

Thank goodness we brought a trailer! And relax, the kids rode in the car.

The magic ended once we got it home. I suddenly remembered just what an epic mess a real tree makes of your living room. And, Matt ended up making 4 trips back and forth to town trying to find a stand that worked for this monstrosity. And then we finally got the stand, but he broke his hacksaw trying to even the base and had to go back for a saw! He was in a rather fine mood....not.





Ah, success. Finally. 5 hours after we brought this baby home. Whew.

We woke Sunday morning to our first real snowfall, and it was magical to decorate this beast. All was forgiven in the land of tree stands and broken saws.

500 lights, and I still don't think it looks like enough! 13 feet of Christmas beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment