I think I need to start a blog post series titled "Life With A 7 Year Old". I have many reasons for this. 1--Drama. We have lots of it
2--Sass. Also no shortage.
3--Intense desire for independence. Will stop at nothing. I mean
nothing.
4--Knowledge of the world. All time high, people. All time high. She knows it all.
5--Ability to boss people around.
6--Messy Room. Lord, have mercy. It is a holy hot mess. So, let's start there, shall we?
Exhibit A: This is a desk.
Yes, really, it is. I know it's hard to believe that work might actually get done here. I'm sure it was possible at some point. Purchasing this cute little desk and chair at IKEA just might have been one of our biggest parenting fails, because what we really did is give our 7 year old permission to hoard and trash yet another surface. Do you see that little purple bit of powder on the desk? Well, she decided to dump out a sand-filled cross she made at church because she "just wanted to play in the sand".
Exhibit B--Fall Hazards Abound
Yes, there is a child in the bed. She's shrouded under the covers, sleeping blissfully away while I toil and fret about the state of her room. People, this kid is going to break her ankle getting up in the night. If she doesn't, I certainly will. I have crunched and stepped on too many cd cases, toys, what have you to count (Grandparents, are you rethinking your Christmas gift ideas??). Drawers are left open, desk chair in the middle of the room, book bin on the floor by the bed. I just can't even.
Exhibit C--Floor as dresser and hamper.
Despite the constant reminder, clothes never make the hamper, the dresser, and heaven forbid a towel should be hung in the adjacent bathroom right after a shower. And that blue thing on the floor? Well, that's a fabulous little stuffed animal bag that doubles as a bean bag chair...but do you think stuffed animals ever live in there? Nope. Instead, it's used for trapping willing little sisters (relax, the whole top is mesh).
Jillian, I try so hard to view this reckless abandon for messiness as another manifestation of your amazing and boundless creativity....but some days, child, it just about drives me to the brink of insanity.
Can i copy and paste the top list?!? Wow. That is Charlie!!! He knows everything! Even when I try to correct his math problem he tells me I'm wrong! Wish you were closer so we could compare notes!
ReplyDelete