template

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Summer Fun--Week 6

With the girls still in Des Moines and Matt at work, I had Monday and Tuesday to myself to do as I wished. I went to boot camp, had a piano lesson, watched trashy reality TV at 3 p.m. because I could, had a golf lesson, enjoyed a leisurely lunch with a dear friend I hadn't seen in two years (complete with a midday glass of wine and dessert!), read, didn't have to sweep under the table after dinner, and enjoyed leisurely evenings with Matt without monitoring toothbrushing. It was a nice break, but strange!

On Wednesday, Matt flew out to Colorado to meet the high school friends for their annual boys trip. He was so excited they were trying something new this year and enjoyed himself immensely as they hiked two 14,000 foot peaks and spent a day whitewater rafting.



Also on Wednesday, I packed myself up and drove down to Des Moines to resume my mothering duties and spend a few days at my parents'. The girls were very happy to see me, especially Adrienne, who even followed me into the bathroom after I arrived to lovingly stroke my hair and face as I peed. That's some serious love, folks. The girls were very excited that they had helped Grammy make one of my very favorite desserts--cream puffs! Grammy makes the real deal, homemade pastry and custard both. They are to die for. The girls got to try them for the first time and I think they loved them almost as much as I do. Adrienne devoured hers, and then expectantly asked my mom if she could lick HER plate and fork.

Nighttime book reading with Grandad. I wish this picture was lighter!


On Thursday, Aunt Meggie and the cousins arrived. The kids were so excited to see each other! For dinner they had a pizza party in the living room while watching a movie.


It was rainy out and the kids needed to get some energy out, so we had a little couch cushion fun. The kids took turns somersaulting across them. I also have incriminating videos of Grammy, Aunt Meggie, and myself as we practiced our acrobatics skills. I guess the wine we had with our pizza really loosened things up.

Grammy is in there somewhere under this pile of crazy kids.

At bedtime I tried to get a picture of all 4 kids...this is the best I could do. Bryce is reaching out for his paci, which his mom took away just before I snapped the pic.
Jillian was all over being in charge of bedtime stories. It's so great that she can read so well and take over some of this hard work!

On Friday, I had coffee with this cowgirl. Aunt Meggie is such a trip.


The kids were dying to get outside in the blow up pool, so we let 'em have at it. As they played, we noticed a lone doe wandering in the back of the yard. She stopped and observed the kids for at least ten minutes. She should have been very afraid of these crazy kids...but she wasn't!



 I just love these series of pics of Bryce. I wish I could remember what he was so excited about.




A little Jack and Jillian love. So sweet.




Aunt Meggie went out and did some shopping that afternoon, and I whipped up a delicious peach pie. 


While Grandad manned the grill for steaks and hot dogs, Grams and the kids hopped back in the pool. 





 Love my beautiful mom. She is one fabulous grandma.
 Bryce was giving me the cautious eye as he walked down the deck stairs. He's not a huge fan of me, mostly because at first glance I look like his mom and then he looks again and realizes I'm not! He is a momma's boy for sure.

I cannot resist baby butt cheek. It requires a photograph every.single.time.


 If you look closely you will see Aunt Meggie being a goofball. There were some outdoor shenanigans going on.

 What I want you to notice in this picture is not my silly muscle pose, but rather the bright blur far in the background of Jack running totally naked through the yard. My parents live on a bike path, so you can imagine the show we gave the walkers/bikers as they came by...naked kids, moms muscling it up...this is 'Merica, folks.







On Saturday morning we were up and at 'em early and headed to Grammy and Grandad's favorite breakfast spot--the Cozy Cafe. I have no pictures of this, but the kids were great and enjoyed some huge pancakes. Then we headed downtown for the Des Moines Farmer's Market. This is a crazy scene unlike any other market I've been to. It's a cultural experience, for sure. Don't miss it if you're in DM on a summer Saturday. Here's our crew heading into the action.


Goofy girls posing for a pic.

Standing at the back of the market looking across the main drag. You can see the massive sea of people. There about 6 side streets off this main one as well. Total chaos.

It was super hot, and the kids were getting cranky, so we got them some snowcones.

We came home for lunch and another snuggled up rest time movie.

The kids played in the pool for hours again, and while I whipped up some of our famous beer brats the kids ate on the deck and then enjoyed some ice cream sundaes.  Aunt Meggie was the consistent photobomber. She is really good at it.










 Just look at this boy's blue eyes!

As if the kids hadn't had enough fun on this day, my dad had purchased a tent and wanted to set it up and camp out with the kids in the basement. Bryce wasn't quite old enough for this event, but the 3 big kids were SO excited to learn of this surprise!!
I snuck downstairs later to check on our camping crew. Grandad on the bed, kids in the tent.


All three sleeping soundly. I sure loved seeing Jack snuggled in that Jayhawk blanket! Take that, Tiger fans!

Sunday was a sad, sad day for the girls as we packed up to head home. Jillian cried as we left, and then Adrienne started up about 30 minutes into the trip home and cried big crocodile tears on and off all. the. way. home.


Bless her wittle heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment